Copyright © 2019 Federation of Students, University of Waterloo operating as Waterloo Undergraduate Student Association
Health and Dental Plan
To help University of Waterloo students pay for the health services they need, WUSA has partnered with Studentcare External Link in order to provide students with extended health and dental coverage. The Plan is designed specifically for students to cover many services not covered by OHIP External Link and other basic health-care programs.
Health & Dental Crash Course
Take the Studentcare Health & Dental Crash course with Alex! In this video series Alex helps you discover how this plan is unbeatable and how Studentcare networks can save you even more.
View the Studentcare crash course videos with Alex to learn more.
Who's Automatically Covered?
Full-time undergraduate students who are members of WUSA and who are enrolled in 1.5 on-campus credits are automatically covered by the WUSA/GSA Health & Dental Plan. This includes international students, co-op students on officially recognized work terms, and students who are attending Waterloo on exchange.
What is Covered?
The Health & Dental Plan covers health, dental, vision, and travel benefits:
* Prices and amounts are subject to change. For complete details please visit the StudentCare External Link website.
- 80%* for prescription drugs (including most oral contraceptives) and vaccinations
- $3,600* for health practitioners (psychologists, physiotherapists, chiropractors, etc.)
- $275* in vision care (combined maximum for glasses, eye exam and laser surgery)
- $750* in dental care (checkups, cleanings, fillings, extractions, endodontics, periodontics, etc.)
- $1,000,000* in travel health coverage per lifetime and 150 days per trip
- Ambulances, dental accidents, medical equipment, and more!
How Can I Save More?
You can also further enhance your benefits by visiting health professionals who are members of the Dental, Vision, Chiropractic, Physiotherapy, Massage Therapy, and Pharmacy Networks.
Where Can I Access Mental Health Resources?
Studentcare is happy to provide access to a variety of mental health resources online, in person, and over the telephone—for all WUSA members. Discover more about our mental health resources External Link.
How Much Does it Cost?
Visit the Studentcare External Link website for complete details.
Can I Change My Coverage?
You have the ability to manage your coverage so that it works for you. Visit the Studentcare External Link website during the appropriate Change-of-Coverage Period to use the secure, online opt-out or enrollment system, and follow the detailed instructions.
Introducing the Plan to your Family. You can enroll your family (spouse and /or dependants) each year by paying an additional fee, over and above your fee as a member of the Plan. Common law and same-sex couples are eligible.
Eligibility details, coverage periods, and family enrollment fees are available at the Studentcare website External Link.
Opting Out. The choice is always yours if you wish to opt out of the health portion, the dental portion, or the Plan in its entirety.
It’s an easy 3-STEP process:
- Use the secure, online opt-out processing system at the Studentcare website
- Upload proof of your alternative health coverage if you are opting out of the health portion of the Plan(such as a copy of your benefits card or a letter from your parent or spouse’s employer). If you are opting out of the dental portion of the Plan, you do not need to provide proof of alternative dental coverage.
- Receive a cheque for the amount of the Plan shortly after the end of the Change-of-Coverage Period.
- Fall Term students: Sept. 4 - 26 , 2018
- New Winter Term students: Jan. 7 - 25, 2019
- New Spring Term students: May 6 - 24, 2019
Have More Questions?
Information is available online at the Studentcare website or by calling the Studentcare Member Services Centre at 1 866 369-8794, Mon. - Fri. from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Health Services Building
200 University Ave West
Waterloo, ON N2L 3G1
1 866 369-8794
|Monday||9am - 5pm|
|Tuesday||9am - 5pm|
|Wednesday||9am - 5pm|
|Thursday||9am - 5pm|
|Friday||9am - 5pm|