|Program length||Format||Session start date(s)||Program fees|
|12 weeks||Online learning with live recorded sessions||May 29, 2023
September 25, 2023
January 29, 2024
May 27, 2024
|$995 + applicable taxes|
Build on the skills you learned in Foundations of Data Science and get the grounding in basic statistics you need to successfully complete your Data Science Certificate.
In this course, you'll explore probability and descriptive statistics, cover data analysis from both a classical and contemporary viewpoint and learn to extract insight from datasets. You'll get a math notation refresher, learn to form hypotheses, design experiments that collect valid data, test your hypotheses using statistical techniques and work with causal models. Concepts are solidified through individual, and group based practical assignments.
This course is developed in partnership with the School of Continuing Studies at the University of Toronto.
Who should enrol
- Business associates, operations managers, project managers and intelligence analysts
- Finance, securities and insurance professionals
- Digital marketing and communication specialists
- Professionals from every level or industry who work with analytics or data
What you will learn
- Design experiments to collect data that answer business or scientific questions.
- Formulate statistical tests to answer business questions.
- Use multiple linear and logistic regressions as predictive models.
- Use Python for model building.
- Cover data analysis from both a classical and causal viewpoint.
Weekly webinars review key concepts and provide an opportunity for live interaction and Q&A with the instructors. The webinars will be recorded so if you are unable to attend you can watch the webinar recording at a time that is convenient to you.
- Required prerequisites:
- Foundations of Data Science OR
- a passing grade on the prior learning assessment, conducted by the University of Toronto, for equivalent skills
- A degree in Engineering, Mathematics, or Computer Science is recommended, but not required. Basic knowledge of programming and programming languages is strongly recommended.
- Anaconda/Jupyter (software that you are required to install)
- Waterloo LEARN
Larry Simon, MBA
Mr. Simon is an entrepreneur, management consultant, and angel investor, specializing in IT strategy and data analytics. He has over 30 years of experience advising startups, global corporations, and government institutions. He is the founder and a Managing Director of Inflection Group. Prior to this he was a Partner with Ernst & Young Consulting, their CTO and National Director of their strategy and delivery centres.
He has previously served on the faculty of the Rotman School of Management, as the Head Judge of the Canadian Information Productivity Awards (CIPA), and as a Councillor of the Institute of Certified Management Consultants of Ontario. Larry holds an MBA from the University of Toronto and a B.Math (Computer Science) from the University of Waterloo.
Your learning experience with Waterloo
Download a brochure for the Data Science certificate program
Online Data Science courses taken through WatSPEED at the University of Waterloo will have applicable taxes applied at the time of purchase. A T2022A tax slip is not issued for these courses.
Withdrawal and refund policy
You can withdraw from this course, or transfer to the next start date, up to 14 days after the start date. You must request this in writing (firstname.lastname@example.org) before 4:30 pm (EST) on the 14th day. Please indicate if you want a refund or a transfer. There is an administrative fee of $75 (+ applicable taxes) for either option.