3:00p.m., January 17, 2018. EC1 1004
Donald Duff-McCracken (Chair), Darren Bondy (Secretary), Igor Biki (guest), Eric Bremner, Lannois Carroll-Woolery, Daniella Cross, Graham Faulkner, Laurel Forbes, Chris Francis, Mike Gaspic (guest), Tasha Glover, Troy Grandy, Marlon Griffith, Adrienn Kennedy, Joe Kwan, , Amy Meredith, Liam Morland, Carrie Nickerson, Kevin Paxman, Susan Shifflett, Michael Tjendra, Tyler Wendland (guest), Heather Wey, Annaka Williemsen,
Janice Cooke, Michelle Douglas-Mills, Tom Graham, Melissa Holst, Danielle Jeanneault, Andrea Jennings, Stephenie Koerne, Martin LeBlanc, Andrew McAlorum, Isaac Morland, Trevor Ridgway, Elizabeth Rogers, Melanie Scott, Kayla Snyder, Lori Suess, Andrew Smith, Jodi Szimanski, Claire Taylor, Mirko Vucicevich Chao Yang
Herbert Balagtas, Sarah Forgrave, Jim Johnston, Carlos Saavedra, Andrea Sweet
Approval of the minutes of November meeting
The minutes from the previous meeting were accepted as distributed.
Shopify (Igor Biki, Mike Gaspic, Tyler Wendland)
Tyler Wendland, Mike Gaspic, Igor Biki presented on Shopify at UWaterloo. Topics included:
- What prompted the start of the project?
- Lessons learned from pilot
- Post pilot
- Achievements to date
- Next steps
Comments & discussion
- Is this being used for tuition payments?
- No. Tuition is a completely different type of revenue with different rules and regulations (credit cards are not accepted for tuition payments).
- It can be used to support University of Waterloo conferences on campus; cannot be used for conferences that are unrelated to the University even if they are held here.
Waterloo Content Management System (WCMS) updates
Technical update (Kevin Paxman)
- Focus points in our current sprint, other than Drupal 8, include voting updates, accessibility, and the 2.6.1 release
- 2.6.1 will be mostly contrib module updates, bug and accessibility fixes, with some minor feature improvements; full details and timing TBD
- 2.6.0 was released in December. Release notes: https://uwaterloo.ca/web-resources/news/wcms-version-260-release
- WCMS servers were patched against Spectre/Meltdown
- Drupal 1.0 was released 17 years ago this month.
Training update (Andrea Jennings)
Migrations and training – by the numbers
- 744 sites live
- 48 in progress on pilots
- WCMS training courses: 3,887 attendees
On Web Resources
All SEW courses offered throughout January and February are posted on the Web Resources website.
Regularly scheduled WCMS Drop-in lab hours: Tuesdays & Thursdays - 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm in MC 2060.
If you require special arrangements outside of the regular drop-in hours please contact Andrea, email@example.com.
What’s happening with the WCMS?
Feature/functionality highlights from WCMS version 2.6.0 release:
- New granular webform results access - site managers with web form editor permissions can now give users permission to view the results for specific web forms.
- Site managers for "authentication required" websites can now individually customize the messages displayed when users have not yet logged in, and have logged in but have been denied access to the site.
- Single page sites: New Video Banners - video banners of 3MB or less can now be added to single page sites.
Change to Form editor role
We have removed the requirement that the Form editor role cannot be applied if someone hasn't had the training. However, we have left it that a POC must request the role be added by our team. When a request comes in we will check the registration list and inform the POC if the training hasn't been completed. The POC can then advise us to add the role or wait until the training has been completed.
Site maintainers will now be able to complete the WCMS Web Form Creation [SEW101] in the WCMS Drop-in lab. After completing the training, a POC must request the role be added by our team.
- Start of a new term is a great time to review site permissions!
- Lynda.com IST-WCMS playlist is available. The playlist will answer questions like: What is responsive design? What is Drupal, and why do we use it? How do I create and maintain an effective website within the WCMS?
New Training and Support team members!
Adil Ashraf joined our team for the winter term as a co-op student, and Cindy Xayavong has joined our team as a full-time staff member. Adil and Cindy will be providing WCMS training and support, migration and quality assurance testing services, and creating and maintaining course and online documentation.
Storify update (Joe Kwan)
Shutting down as of May 16 for anyone still using it; if you have embedded a module on your site, it will disappear as of May 16.
- A suitable replacement is being investigated.
Info/strobe/fortuna migrations (Joe Kwan)
A cluster of legacy web servers that have a multitude of content/active applications will be retired in the near future.
- Shawn Winnington-Ball is running the project and may reach out to you if there is something on there that belongs to you.
- There are replacement web servers that are available.
- Don Duff-McCracken will send out an email shortly after this meeting regarding committee membership. Members are asked to review the “Our People” list on the WAC site to ensure that their information is there and also accurate.
- If you happen to notice that someone from your group is on the list and should not be, please let us know.
- Are members aware of the availability of Mattermost? Or that the committee has its own channel?
- The application started off busy when the University first rolled it out but has since quieted down.
- It was discussed at the August 2017 WAC meeting.
- It may be appropriate to discuss this tool again at a future meeting.
- There will be a PDAG seminar on Friday, January 26 regarding the implementation of the new WatIAM system.
Update on UWScholar
- We have been trying to keep up with Harvards releases for OpenScholar but they update every 3 weeks.
- We are hoping to update to the latest releases quarterly.
- About to surpass the 300 user mark.
- Will be meeting with the Office of Research to discuss the difference (and possible integrations) with the myResearch application they are rolling out.
The meeting adjourned at 4:17 p.m.