We are currently carrying out a major project, the Archives Unleashed Project. Please visit the project page here. Additionally, we have three smaller projects underway:
- We are assembling Canadian web archival collections from across the country, under the Web Archives for Longitudinal Knowledge (WALK) project. Ian Milligan and Nick Ruest are co-PIs of a supporting Compute Canada grant.
- We are exploring GeoCities, a single scrape from 2009 with data dating back to 1996, to see how we can write a social history of early web history.
- We are exploring the collection and preservation of Twitter data. An early article appeared here, and we are exploring how to integrating Twitter archiving with web archiving.
While the web archives for historical research group only began in May 2015, Milligan and Ruest have been writing on this since 2012 and a list of relevant publications is available.
We have several research outcomes available:
- The Archives Unleashed project has made several software suites available, including the Archives Unleashed Toolkit and Archives Unleashed Cloud.
- Our webarchives.ca portal is available online, and allows users to search over 10 years of Canadian political history.
- We have been releasing some of our data online.
- And, we have been pursuing conventional publications (see above).