Site managers can delete documents and images uploaded on their website. When content maintainers remove a document or an image on a web page, it is still stored on the website and can be inserted back using "File browser" and "Reference existing" upload methods.
The following steps will permanently delete a document or image from the website.
- From the Administration bar, select My Workbench.
- Click on File list tab.
- If you are removing a document, note the URL of the document for creating a redirect. If you are removing an image you can skip this step.
- In the Actions column, select the Delete link for the file or image to be deleted.
- On the confirmation page, click the Delete button.
- The deleted file or image will no longer display in your File list, or be found on your website.
Please note: For documents - linked text will still display on the website and must be removed. If clicked, the user will be directed to a '404 Page not found' web page.
When a document is deleted people going to that URL will get a “Page not found” unless you redirect that URL to somewhere else.
- You can’t redirect from a document that has not been deleted because the browser hits the file before it hits the redirect.
- You should redirect from a document that has been deleted (see below for an example) so that if a user had that URL bookmarked or it is still being indexed by a search engine users will be redirected to the new document.
Example of redirecting a pdf document:
To redirect https://uwaterloo.ca/information-systems-technology/sites/ca.information-systems-technology/files/uploads/files/license.pdf
- Record the path of the pdf that is being replaced (sites/ca.information-systems-technology/files/uploads/files/license.pdf).
- Delete the pdf that is being replaced (license.pdf)
- Add the new pdf to the appropriate page (license-new.pdf)
- Go to Dashboard > Redirects > Add redirect
- In the first field enter the path of the deleted pdf (sites/ca.information-systems-technology/files/uploads/files/license.pdf).
- In the second field enter the path of the new pdf (sites/ca.information-systems-technology/files/uploads/files/license-new.pdf).