Site managers can create a Home page banner with optional caption and link. There can be multiple static banners that change every time the page is refreshed or they can be displayed as a slideshow.
Banners should be optimized before uploading and sized to 1000 pixels wide.
Note: Banners should all be of equal height. Avoid images containing text on banners; if absolutely necessary, centre the text and use a colour contrast checker to ensure it meets accessibility requirements.
Create a Home page banner
- From the Administration bar, select My Workbench.
- Click on Create/Manage Content tab.
- Click on the Home page banner link.
- Click on the Add a Home page banner link.
- Enter a banner Title (hidden to visitors).
- Upload a banner image.
- Add descriptive Alternative text for the image.
- Add an optional Link title (link text).
- Add URL for thebBanner and link text to link to (optional).
- Add Caption text (optional). Keep captions as short as possible – they wrap to multiple lines on mobile.
Note: Home page banners are set to publish by default.
Enabling banner slideshow (recommended)
You can enable banner slideshow, which will automatically cycle through all of your existing banners, as opposed to having several static banners that change when the page is refreshed.
Note: Banners should all be of equal height.
- Click Dashboard from the Administration bar.
- Click Home page banner settings from the Site management menu.
- Check Enable banner slideshows in place of normal banners.
- Click on Save Configuration.
Home page banner settings
The defaults will be set to:
- Slideshow banners = a maximum of 8
- Slide speed = 7000 ms (increase if a lot of text is present to allow more time for user to read)
- Transition speed = 400 ms
- Autoplay = on (checked)
Each of these settings can be changed as desired.
Although the Home page banner content type is not available, a banner image can be added to Conference sites through Conference settings.
Although the Home page banner content type is not available, a listing page image for a Publication article can be showcased on the Publication home page.
Although the Home page banner content type is not available, a banner image can be added to Single page sites when configuring the Single page home content type.