A Serial number PDF is a unique sequence of numbers assigned to the completed PDF form for the purpose of identifying a specific form submission. When users submit a web form, a serial number will be assigned automatically to the appropriate PDF field. The serial number changes in increments of one each time a form is submitted (e.g., if starting serial number is 10000, the next form submission will have a serial number of 10001).
To setup a serial number PDF, you will need a fillable PDF form configured with a web form (see how to create fillable PDF forms). Additionally, you will need a serial number PDF field on the fillable PDF form.
- Create the web form and the fillable PDF with matching form components/PDF fields. On the web form, do not create a serial number form component.
Fillable PDF form:
- Match the PDF fields with the form components (see how to create fillable PDF forms). This should leave the serial number PDF field unmatched.
- In the Edit PDF form page (My Workbench > Create/Manage Content > Web Form > Manage PDFs > Edit), select Edit link for the serial number PDF field.
- Under Value field, enter [submission:serial].
- Click Update button.
- To change the starting serial number, go to: Webform tab > Form settings sub-tab.
- Under Next submission number field, enter the desired starting serial number (e.g., 10000).
- Click Save configuration button.
- Test the serial number PDF by completing/submitting the web form, and then download/open the completed PDF form.
Completed web form:
Completed PDF form: