Site management tasks are complex and varied. It is recommended that one person be responsible for the holistic approach to the management and maintenance of a website.
For WCMS sites, the Guidelines for use of the WCMS state: A designated faculty member or regular staff person; (authorized by the department) must be assigned as website lead and Site Manager. For WCMS 3, this person should also be a Site Owner.
- Planning and managing creation and maintenance of the website.
- Managing access to the website and assigning areas of responsibility.
- Ensuring users have taken the appropriate training.
- Ensuring quality and compliance: usability and accessibility; copyright and other legal compliance; consistent with University policy and guidelines; best practice.
- Coordinating and delegating web tasks.
The following skills are required for users performing site management tasks:
- Sound knowledge of web guidelines and policies.
- Strong understanding and commitment to meeting obligations for website accessibility.
- Sound knowledge of proper writing for the web.
- For the Waterloo Content Management System (WCMS) Site managers must complete WCMS for Content Maintainers and WCMS for Site Managers. For WCMS 3, they must complete WCMS 3 Fundamentals.