Stop stalling. Start writing.
Dissertation Boot Camp is designed to help dissertation writers get a jump start on meeting their writing goals.
This intensive program runs Monday, December 18 to Thursday, December 21 from 9am – 4pm at The University of Waterloo's Waterloo campus.
Rules of participation
PhD and masters students are welcomed to apply.
Please note that Engineering students writing their dissertation proposals are invited to apply.
The Dissertation Boot Camp program combines dedicated writing time, goal setting and writing strategy sessions, and one-on-one meetings with our writing specialists.
Dissertation Boot Camp has strict parameters for participation. Before applying, please think ahead to the week of the camp and decide whether you can meet the following expectations:
- Come to Boot Camp prepared to write.
- Stay for the entire day. If you have lab responsibilities, you will need to find lab coverage.
- Follow the guidelines provided by staff and/or the group. For example, we may ask you to shut off your internet access during writing sessions.
- Participate in short, skill-building workshops.
- You should set concrete goals for the program. We recommend that you meet with your supervisor to discuss your goals.
- Gather all of the materials you will need to write productively (articles, data, previous drafts with comments, research notes, etc.).
- Dress comfortably. We will provide coffee and healthy snacks.
- You should set concrete goals for the week. We recommend that you meet with your supervisor to discuss your goals.
Space is limited!
You must be already writing or ready to begin.
Participants will be selected based on their applications. Those applicants who are not selected will be added to a waiting list in case there are cancellations.
Application for Dissertation Boot Camp
Please check back in September to apply for the Fall term's Dissertation Boot Camp.