Learn to speak about your research with confidence!
The Speak Like a scholar program will run online from Monday, February 22 to Tuesday, March 2, 2021. Whether you are giving a conference presentation, a job talk, or defending your dissertation, as a graduate student you need to be able to speak with authority and knowledge about your research area, respond to questions, and engage in scholarly debate.
Speak like a Scholar is designed to help doctoral students develop their professional scholarly voices and give effective academic presentations with confidence. This program takes place online through LEARN over seven business days (week 1 Monday-Friday and week 2 Monday-Tuesday).
Discussions and hands-on practice addressing many aspects of giving oral presentations in an academic context will be offered.
Rules of participation
Speak Like a Scholar has strict parameters for participation. Before applying, please think ahead to the workshop dates (Feb 22-Mar 2) and decide whether you can meet the following expectations:
- Students must be able to work on SLAS activities 2-4 hours each of the seven days
- Be available all day on Wednesday, Feb 24 and Tuesday Mar 2 (you will be assigned a 2-hour time slot once registered).
- Read/watch all workshop material
- Gather all of the materials you will need to draft and design presentations (articles, data, previous drafts with comments, research notes, etc.).
- Complete daily tasks, including drafting, responding to discussion boards, and providing peer feedback.
Please note: We will do our best to accommodate limitations on time due to family care responsibilities, and we will work with you to find the best accommodation for other accessibility needs.
How to register
Space is limited!
This program is open to doctoral students only. Space in this workshop is limited, and participants will be selected based on their applications.
Applications for the February/March 2021 program open on Monday, January 18, 2021 and close on Friday, February 5, 2021 at 5:00 pm.