We know that learning to navigate the classroom and a new cultural space in a language different from your home language takes time. At the Writing and Communication Centre, you can practice speaking and writing in English in a friendly and supportive environment, with feedback from communication experts. We have three different programs so that you can create a flexible schedule and work at your own pace.
English Conversation Circles
English Conversation Circles allow you to gather in small groups with English-speaking facilitators to practice conversation, learn about everyday Canadian culture and connect with other students. If you are a visiting scholar or if you are a spouse of a UWaterloo student, you are also welcome to attend.
- learning about idioms and Canadian slang
- conversation techniques, small talk and introductions
- small group discussions and pair work
- lots of opportunity for student input and questions
Each session of the Spring 2017 English Conversation Circles will run for five weeks. Classes are on Tuesdays from 3:30 p.m. - 5 p.m.
- Session 1: May 16 - June 13
- Session 2: June 20 - July 18
Participate in the Spring 2017 English Conversation Circles by registering on WCONLINE on May 8th.
Be sure to register right away as spaces are limited.
How to register using WCONLINE
- Go the the WCONLINE website. If it is your first time at WCONLINE, you must create an account using your UWaterloo email address.
- Sign in to the system.
- The default calendar is the undergraduate calendar. Change the calendar to The English Conversation Circles.
- Using the calendar or arrows, go to the first date of the English Conversation Circles.
- Click on the section you want and fill in the required information.
- Once registered, the square will turn yellow, and you are automatically signed up for the five weeks.
Note: if you are registering for your spouse, please be sure to indicate that in the "anything else you want to tell us" section.
Please contact Chao Yang, Writing and Multimodal Communication Specialist, with any questions or concerns.
Drop by to practice your speaking skills on any topic for any purpose. We’ll have coffee and tea available. Mondays, 4:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. in room 219, South Campus Hall. Conversation cafes run from May 29 to July 31.
Want practice writing in English? The Writing Practice program gives you the chance to read and write in English, and then get feedback from an instructor.
Writing Practice ends Wednesday, June 14.