We know that learning to navigate the classroom and a new culture in a language different from your home language takes time. You can practice speaking and writing in English in a friendly and supportive on campus or online environment, with feedback from communication experts by joining the English Practice Community on LEARN. The English Practice Community is made up of English Conversation Circles, Conversation Café, and Writing Practice. Participate in one or more of these programs; they complement one another.
If you feel you don't have time to fully participate in the English Practice Community, feel free to access and use the material on LEARN on your own.
How to add yourself to the English Practice Community on LEARN
- Go to the LEARN site and log in using your WATIAM credentials.
- Go to Self Registration located at the top middle of the page.
- Enroll yourself in English Practice Community.
For the Spring term, the English Practice Community runs from May 15 to July 24. We focus on new topic each week.
- Week 1: Meet and greet
- Week 2: Local activities in the summer
- Week 3: Daily interactions
- Week 4: Small talk
- Week 5: Inquiry
- Week 6: Camping
- Week 7: Holidays
- Week 8: Retirement
- Week 9: Recommendations
- Week 10: Social Media
As a student, a visiting scholar, or the spouse of a UWaterloo student, you are welcome to attend English Conversation Circles. There you will gather in small groups to practice talking, learn about everyday Canadian culture, and connect with others, guided by experienced facilitators. We meet on Tuesday afternoons from 4 to 5. Bring a mug as we provide free coffee and tea.
Sign up for any or all of the conversation topics that interest you on WCONLINE.
Participate for Spring 2018 English Conversation Circles by registering on WCONLINE starting May 8th.
Be sure to register right away as spaces are limited.
How to register using WCONLINE
- Go the the WCONLINE website. If it is your first time at WCONLINE, you must create an account using your UWaterloo email address.
- Sign in to the system.
- The default calendar is the undergraduate calendar. Change the calendar to The English Conversation Circles.
- Using the calendar or arrows, go to week/topic you want to register for.
- Click on the white square and fill in the required information.
- Once registered, the square will turn yellow.
- You will have to register for each week you want to participate in.
Note: if you are registering for your spouse, register your spouse using your account. Please indicate that you are registering your spouse in the "anything else you want to tell us" section.
Want English writing experience that is not tied to classroom assignments or marks? The Writing Practice program gives you the chance to read about a weekly topic, write a short response, submit on the LEARN discussion boards at your own convenience, and then get feedback from an instructor.
Comments are given on Wednesdays at 11am – 12pm and Thursdays at 9am – 11am. Detailed feedback will be emailed to you.
No registration required. Just drop in to SCH 228F on Tuesdays from 5:15pm to 6:15pm to informally discuss about a range of topics, including ones you suggest, or get some help composing your comments on the LEARN discussion boards. We’ll have coffee and tea available, so remember to bring a mug.
Conversation Cafés run May 15 to July 24.
Please contact Chao Yang, Writing and Multimodal Communication Specialist, with any questions or concerns.