Support for faculty as instructors
The Writing and Communication Centre supports writing and communication at the University of Waterloo in a number of ways. In addition to providing services to students directly, we support students by working with departments, faculty and instructors to provide classroom-integrated support.
We emphasize that all students can benefit from working with a reader who can help to deepen thinking, clarify communication, and encourage an iterative writing process.
Writing and Communication Centre support for classes can come in a variety of formats:
- Introduction of the WCC and our services
- Workshops on particular writing topics/discipline-specific genres
- In-class specialists to facilitate peer review/support students as they write
- Supplementary (outside class time) group tutoring sessions where students can workshop their writing
To include a section in your syllabus about the Writing and Communication Centre, use our suggested syllabus content.
Additionally, these slides for LEARN are an easy way to communicate Writing Centre services to your students.
Writing Assignment Design and TA Development
Support for faculty as writers
As a faculty member, you're pulled in many directions. Preparing lectures. Grading student work. Supervising graduate students. Research. Service. Meetings. It's tough to find time to write!
At the Writing and Communication Centre, we support faculty members as writers, whether they're working on books, journal articles, grant proposals, or any other project. We offer 50-minute consultations that give you a chance to talk to our Faculty Support Specialist about your work at any stage of the writing process. Here are some examples of the ways we can support faculty writers at many stages of the writing process:
- Provide a sounding board as you plan and outline
- Help you experience your draft the way a reader might
- Facilitate goal-setting and offer coaching
- Consult on the structure, organization, or mechanics of your work
Please email Dr. Nadine Fladd if you would like to set up a meeting to discuss your project.
Faculty Writing Café
Since January 2017, the Writing and Communication Centre has been hosting a Weekly Writing Café for faculty. Every Wednesday afternoon, we offer a dedicated writing space (with coffee, tea, and treats!) for faculty to write together, and to discuss writing goals, challenges and strategies with their colleagues.
Faculty Writing Café: Wednesdays from 2:00pm to 4:30pm in SCH 228F