Hey, ARTS undergrads! JOIN OUR TEAM!
Do you love writing?
Do you get a kick out of designing slides and presenting to an audience?
Do you want to help first-year ARTS students rock their Arts First experience?
We are looking for a team of Arts undergrads to help us support students in ARTS FIRST courses!
Arts First Tutors coach and help first-year Arts students become better writers and communicators. They are assigned to specific Arts 130 courses, and they will work with those students in and out of class by giving feedback on planning, drafting/designing, and revising assignments. Sometimes, they will speak in front of classes to introduce themselves and the Writing and Communication Centre, and they will plan and facilitate group writing/tutoring sessions for their courses.
Application deadline: Friday, August 2, 2019
$15.00 / hour | 5-10 hours per week
Responsibilities (we’ll help you to learn many of these):
- Be available to students before or after scheduled classes for regular check-ins and supportive conversations
- Talk with students about their writing and communication activities, ask guiding questions, and help students to view their work as an audience would
- Use a variety of tutoring strategies to coach students through various parts of their assignments, from brainstorming to proofreading
- Liaise with the course instructors to become familiar with course schedules and assignments, and make arrangements with them to support in-class work as needed.
- Maintain equitable, friendly, student-centred learning spaces that are collaborative and encouraging.
- Patience and a genuine interest in helping others
- Foundational skills for teaching – active listening, the ability to explain concepts and ask critical questions
- Excellent communication skills (written, verbal, visual, etc.)
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively with others
- Excellent interpersonal and time management skills
- cover letter
- an example of your academic writing (bonus if it was from Arts 130/140)
- your fall class schedule
- your hourly availability for an interview on August 14, 2019
- confirmation that you can be available for training on August 27 and 28, 8:30am – 4:30pm