|Program length||Format||Session start date(s)||Program fees|
|12 weeks||Online learning with live recorded sessions||May 29, 2023
September 25, 2023
January 29, 2024
May 27, 2024
|$995 + applicable taxes|
If you want to work in the growing field of data science, and have some prior knowledge and experience of basic programming, this course is for you.
You'll learn how to help organizations leverage the increasing variety and volume of data they own or can find on the Internet. You'll explore the evolution of the fields of data science and predictive analytics. You'll learn up-to-date techniques for data retrieval, preparation, analysis and visualization. Through hands-on exercises and group assignments, you'll build critical programming skills you can use in subsequent courses in the certificate program.
This course is developed in partnership with the School of Continuing Studies at the University of Toronto.
Debjani Mukherjee, Consultant, Green Connect Solutions Inc.
Who should enrol
- Business associates, operations managers, project managers and intelligence analysts
- Finance, securities and insurance professionals
- Digital marketing and communication specialists
- Professionals from every level or industry who work with analytics or data
What you will learn
- Understand the basic techniques, evolution and promise of data science.
- Build hands-on skills in programming languages such as Python and SQL.
- Extract data from databases, websites and social media.
- Store, clean and analyse data using Pandas.
The courses in this certificate program cover most of the body of knowledge of INFORM's Certified Analytics Professional (CAP) Certification.
Weekly webinars review key concepts and provide an opportunity for live interaction and Q&A with the instructors. The webinars will be recorded so if you are unable to attend you can watch the webinar recording at a time that is convenient to you.
- A degree in Engineering, Mathematics, or Computer Science is recommended, but not required. Basic knowledge of programming and programming languages is strongly recommended.
- Need to brush up on your programming skills? Take our Introduction to Python 3 six week online course.
- Anaconda/Jupyter (software that you are required to install)
- Waterloo LEARN
Larry Simon, MBA
Mr. Simon is an entrepreneur, management consultant, and angel investor, specializing in IT strategy and data analytics. He has over 30 years of experience advising startups, global corporations, and government institutions. He is the founder and a Managing Director of Inflection Group. Prior to this he was a Partner with Ernst & Young Consulting, their CTO and National Director of their strategy and delivery centres.
He has previously served on the faculty of the Rotman School of Management, as the Head Judge of the Canadian Information Productivity Awards (CIPA), and as a Councillor of the Institute of Certified Management Consultants of Ontario. Larry holds an MBA from the University of Toronto and a B.Math (Computer Science) from the University of Waterloo.
Your learning experience with Waterloo
Download a brochure for the Data Science certificate program
Online Data Science courses taken through WatSPEED at the University of Waterloo will have applicable taxes applied at the time of purchase. A T2022A tax slip is not issued for these courses.
Withdrawal and refund policy
You can withdraw from this course, or transfer to the next start date, up to 14 days after the start date. You must request this in writing (email@example.com) before 4:30 pm (EST) on the 14th day. Please indicate if you want a refund or a transfer. There is an administrative fee of $75 (+ applicable taxes) for either option.