Sound plays a major role in our lives and headphones allow us to properly tune in (or out) effortlessly. Bone conduction headphones are technical advancements through their functionality, military use and other applications.
Bone conduction involves the propagation of sound waves through bone. In bone conduction headphones, transducers send sound waves through your cheekbones to your cochlea, effectively bypassing the eardrums altogether. Although it sounds unnatural, we are already accustomed to bone conduction hearing. For instance, it is the reason that your voice sounds weird when played back to you since you are not accustomed to hearing via only air conduction.
Furthermore, bone conduction headphones are available for recreational use as a substitute for normal headphones. They are also used in treating patients with hearing loss or hearing impairments. Typically, an implant is placed under the patient’s skin. This amplifies sounds that would have normally gone through the eardrum and as a result, the patient hears clearer sound. Bypassing the eardrum also means that there is less hearing damage through loud sounds. It also enables persons with in-ear hearing aids to enjoy using headphones without having to remove their device.
AfterShoks. (2017, 04 07). Here's how bone conduction headphones work. Retrieved from AfterShoks Website: https://aftershokz.com/blogs/news/here-s-how-bone-conduction-headphones-work
Banks, L. (2019, 09 26). Best Bone Conduction Headphones of 2019: A Complete Guide. Retrieved from Everyday Hearing: https://www.everydayhearing.com/hearing-technology/articles/bone-conduction-headphones/
- Frantz, S. (2019, 2 20). Bone conduction headphones: Getting questions about these? Retrieved from Macmillian Community Website: https://community.macmillan.com/community/the-psychology-community/blog/2019/02/20/bone-conduction-headphones-getting-questions-about-these
- Holgers KM, H. B. (2002). Sound stimulation via bone conduction for tinnitus relief; a pilot study. US National Library of Medicine.
- Puentes, L. (2018, 12 19). How bone conduction headphones useful in Military communication. Retrieved from Medium Website: https://medium.com/@lakishapuentes/how-bone-conduction-headphones-useful-in-military-communication-fa271518179a
- Stella, R. (2015, 09 10). This new army helment uses bone conduction technology to help soldiers communicate. Retrieved from Digital Trends Website: https://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/new-army-helmets-to-feature-bone-conduction-communication-technology/
- Yamagata Casio. (2019, 09 30). Logosease Product Summary. Retrieved from Logosease Website: https://logosease.yamagata-casio.co.jp/en/product/