Hagen, Alice Mary, 1872-1972.
Alice Mary Hagen fonds. - 1893-1975.
6 cm of textual records.
Alice Egan was born in Halifax in 1872. She attended Mount Saint Vincent Academy and the Victoria School of Art and Design (later the Nova Scotia College of Art), as well as at the Osgood Art School in New York. One of her first commissions came when she was selected to paint twelve plates for the Lady Aberdeen State Dinner Set, presented to Lady Aberdeen by the Canadian Senate at the time of the retirement of her husband as Governor General in 1898. In 1901 Alice Egan married John Hagen, an official of the Halifax and Bermuda Cable Company, and in 1910 transferred with him to Jamaica where she continued to work and teach. Her work was widely exhibited in the Islands and for her contribution to art in Jamaica Mrs. Hagen was awarded the bronze, and later the silver Sir Anthony Musgrave Medals, the first woman to be so honoured. In 1916 the Hagens returned to Halifax, settling finally in 1932 in Mahone Bay, where Alice Hagen began a new career as a potter, teaching, exhibiting and winning awards. Forty-eight pieces of her hand-painted china, glass and pottery were presented to the Nova Scotia government and are displayed at the Citadel Museum in Halifax. Alice Mary Hagen died in January, 1972.
Alice Hagen donated her papers to the Lady Aberdeen Library of the National Council of Women of Canada at its annual meeting held in Halifax in June, 1962. The Lady Aberdeen Library book and archival collections were solicited, housed and administered by Elizabeth Long of Winnipeg, Manitoba until the National Council transferred the Library to the University of Waterloo in 1967.
Fonds consists of Alice Hagen's correspondence, clippings, articles and ephemera relating to her work in pottery and ceramics. Includes correspondence with Elizabeth Long regarding her part in painting plates for the Canadian Senate's gift of hand-decorated china to Lord and Lady Aberdeen at the end of the former's term as Governor General of Canada in 1898.
- Title based on contents of the fonds.
- Received as part of the Lady Aberdeen Collection which was donated in 1967 by the National Council of Women of Canada.
Call number: WA 4