Haney, Haney, Kendall & Melville.
Haney, Haney, Kendall & Melville fonds. - 1811-1947.
45 cm of textual records.
The firm of Haney, Haney, Kendall & Melville was established in 1860 (Waterloo Historical Society 55 (1967): 29) and has conducted business since then under a number of names.
The first firm name recorded in the papers is MacGachen and Colquhoun on a document dated 1865. Of Stewart MacGachen nothing has been discovered except that he was appointed solicitor for the Waterloo Mutual Fire Insurance Company, formed in 1863.
The partnership of MacGachen and Colquhoun lasted approximately fifteen years, as by 1875 Colquhoun's name alone appears on documents. In 1876 Colquhoun then entered into partnership with Ward Hamilton Bowlby and Edwin Perry Clement, under the name Bowlby, Clement and Colquhoun, but remained for only a short period. (WHS 75 (1987): 36). After conducting business alone for several years, in 1889 he entered into partnership with Arthur B. McBride under the name Colquhoun & McBride. This partnership lasted until 1897 when Colquhoun accepted the position of Collector of Customs.
McBride practised alone for several years before taking another partner, E.P. Flintoft, and the firm name became McBride and Flintoft, ca. 1906. Flintoft left to become solicitor for the Canadian Pacific Railway, leaving McBride once again alone for several years until taking E.W. MacKenzie as partner with the firm name McBride and MacKenzie, ca. 1916 (Middleton, v. 4, p. 547.) Still later, McBride took another partner and the firm name changed to McBride & McGibbon.
The earliest document in the collection is an abstract of a will, which names James Colquhoun as a beneficiary. James Colquhoun was a Barrister of the Middle Temple, a brilliant lawyer who emigrated to Canada in 1842 with his wife, Mary Bryce Colquhoun. After initially establishing a law practise in Galt and speculating in land near Ayr James Colquhoun moved to Berlin ca. 1852, where he first lived on Frederick St. and then built the home now known as "Woodside", the boyhood home of William Lyon MacKenzie King. John King was a family friend and rented Woodside from Frederick Colquhoun from 1886 to 1893. Shortly after moving to Berlin he was appointed Clerk of the county court, a position he held until his death, and was also made deputy clerk of the crown. A keen interest in education led him to serve at various times as trustee or chairman on both the public and high school boards. (Nicolson, p. 44). He died in 1877.
Frederick Colquhoun, son of James Colquhoun, was born August 31, 1839 in Sterling, Scotland. He was educated in Berlin and studied law. From 1860 until 1897 he had a successful law practice; in 1897 he was appointed Collector of Customs at the port of Berlin, a post which he held until his death in 1906. As well, Colquhoun served as Village Clerk for Waterloo from 1868 to 1876 and for the Town of Waterloo from 1876 to 1897. He was secretary of the North Waterloo Reform Association and Children's Aid Society for a number of years, and an original member of the Board of Directors of the Dominion Life Assurance Co., 1900. At the time of his death he was president of the Berlin and Waterloo Hospital Trust.
In approximately 1889 he built a house on a lot on the corner of King and Union Streets, Waterloo, currently 251 Mary St. and known as the "backwards house." The house originally faced King St. but subdivision of the original lot has left the back of the house fronting on Mary St. (Lackenbauer, WHS 85 (1997): 27-40).
Arthur B. McBride was born November 21, 1861, was educated in Toronto, called to the bar in 1884 and practised in Toronto until 1889. In 1889 he moved to Waterloo and went into partnership with Frederick Colquhoun. In 1887 he married Agnes Kumpf, daughter of Christian Kumpf. In Waterloo McBride served as director of the Globe Furniture Company, as well as being active in both the Odd Fellows and Masons.
Although few in number, the documents in this fonds are interesting for the many insights they contain into the history of the local area. They consist mostly of land transactions, mortgages, declarations, and power of attorney. Some seem to have been retained as they pertain to personal or family business of members of the firm, such as documents relating to the Christian Kumpf estate, whose daughter married A.B. McBride. Some documents relate to well known names in the history of the area, such as David Kuntz of Kuntz Breweries and John Hoffman, for whom a survey of Waterloo was done in 1855, Thomas Hilliard, Charles Noecker, Ford S. Kumpf, etc.
Evidence of printing activity is present in legal forms printed by local booksellers and stationers for the firm. The documents contain evidence of trades and occupations of the time, including marble cutter, tailor, hotel keeper, farmer, woollen mill employee, button turner, shoe merchant, cabinet maker, tobacconist, cigar box manufacturer, brewer, pumpmaker, telephone agent, etc. Also interesting to note is the shift to the use of a typewriter and the appearance of a female employee described as a "stenographer." Interesting also is the relative level of literacy evident in the signatures of individuals, particularly those of husbands and wives, many of whom are represented only by their "mark."
- Title from content of the fonds.
- Donated in February 1998 by Reginald Arthur Haney.
- There has been one accrual to the fonds (see Haney, Haney, Kendall & Melville fonds : 2008 accrual to GA 105).
Call number: GA 105
Haney, Haney, Kendall & Melville.
Haney, Haney, Kendall & Melville fonds : 2008 accrual to GA 105. - 1730-1972.
ca. 77 cm of textual records.
Accrual consists of material relating to the activities of the Waterloo law firm Haney, Haney, Kendall & Melville under various former names (including MacGachen & Colquhoun, and Colquhoun & McBride), as well as material relating to the family history of some of the firm's members. Includes mostly deeds of land, mortgages, declarations, and correspondence; a will, a marriage contract, a birth registration, an insurance policy, a grant of burial lot, and other documents are also present. Accrual also contains two auction sale posters. Most of the documents were created in the local area, and some were created in England and Scotland.
Several files contain deeds and mortgages for Lot 9 and part of Lot 10 in the village of St. Jacobs, showing transfer in ownership from Levi Cress to Christian Henrich in 1884, through several other parties, to John L. Horst and his wife Selina Horst in 1953. Several files also contain material relating to a Fred Kempf and his property in Elmira. Some of the documents seem to have been retained for their relation to personal or family business of members of the firm.
- The extent is measured in linear metres of shelf space occupied by the accrual.
- Donated in 2008 by Reginald Arthur Haney.
- Files arranged in chronological order.
- Further material relating to Haney, Haney, Kendall & Melville can be found in the original accession (see Haney, Haney, Kendall & Melville fonds).
Call number: GA 196