Kitchener-Waterloo Record fonds. - 1878-1988.
3.58 m. of textual records and other materials.
The Kitchener-Waterloo Record began with the publication of the Daily News of Berlin on Feb. 9, 1878, and was the first daily paper in the area. It was published by Peter Moyer. Over the years it had several names and publishers: in Jan. 1897 it was purchased by the German Printing and Publishing Co. and was amalgamated with that company's Berlin Daily Record to become the Berlin News Record, and later still the News Record, all published by W.V. Uttley. In 1918 the publishers of the German-language paper the Berliner Journal, W.D. Euler and William J. Motz, purchased the News Record and changed the name to the Kitchener Daily Record. On July 17, 1922 the Record absorbed the other daily, the Daily Telegraph. Thus the original three daily papers (the News Record, the Berlin Daily Record, and the Daily Telegraph) became one.
The Berliner Journal began in Dec. 29, 1859 by Frederick Rittinger and John Motz, and was located on Queen St. S in Kitchener. Motz remained editor until his death in 1899, at which time his some William acquired his father's interest. When Rittinger died in 1915 his share was acquired by W.D. Euler. The weekly Journal ended on May 10, 1924.
In 1948 the Kitchener Daily Record was re-named the Kitchener-Waterloo Record, which name it retained until 1994, when it became simply The Record. In 1928 the paper moved from its home at 49 King St. W. to a new building at Queen and Duke St., 30 Queen St. N., where it was to stay for 44 years until moving in May 1973 to 225 Fairway Road. When William J. Motz died in 1946 his son John E. Motz took over as publisher. The by-then Senator Euler sold his interest to Southam Press in 1953. John E. Motz died in 1975 and the Motz Family continued to own a controlling interest in the paper until 1990, when it was sold to Southam. (Source: Kitchener-Waterloo Record Centennial Souvenir, Feb. 8, 1978. For the later history of this paper, see the Wikipedia article.)
Fonds consists of material relating to the history and operations of the Kitchener-Waterloo Record, from its beginnings in 1878 to 1988. Also consists of historical materials on the history of the Waterloo Region including newspaper articles, slides, photographs, and negatives. Includes legal documents, clippings, ephemera, publications, artifacts, office files, photographic materials, and films.
Includes ca. 460 slides; ca. 375 photographs; ca. 2830 negatives; 2 films.
Arranged in thirteen series with some sub-series:
1. Anniversaries, Events, Open Houses;
3. K-W Record History;
4.1. Office and Operations Files;
4.2. Classified Advertising Manager's Files: James Boland;
4.3. KW Record Advertising Files: Clippings;
4.4. Physical Plant Files;
5. Printed at the Record: Ephemera and Publications;
7. Scrapbooks, Local History, Historical Documents;
8. Negatives: K-W Record History;
9. Negatives and Photographs: Kitchener-Waterloo and Area Local History;
10. Slides: Kitchener-Waterloo and Area History;
11. Kitchener-Waterloo Record: Loose Negatives, Photographs and Slides;
13. Legal Documents.
- Title from content of the fonds.
- Extent is measured in linear metres of shelf space as occupied by the fonds.
- Also includes oversize items.
- Donated by the Kitchener-Waterloo Record ca. 1988.
- English and German.
- Detailed finding aid available.
- Related records can be found in:
- GA 80, Motz Family fonds, and
- GA 68, Kitchener-Waterloo Record Photographic Negative Collection.
Call number: GA 92