The Petworth Project fonds. - 1979-2000.
3 m. of textual records. - 3 diskettes.
The Petworth project was a genealogical research project begun in 1989 and funded by Father Edward Jackman and the Jackman Foundation. Its object was the Petworth Emigration Scheme, one of a number of assisted emigration schemes in southern England in the 1830's. The Petworth Emigration Committee, organized by the Rev. Thomas Sockett and sponsored by the Earl of Egremont, chartered ships and sent emigrants from England to Upper Canada between 1832 and 1837.
Contents: consists of material relating to the research for, writing and publication of two volumes relating to the Petworth Emigration Scheme: Assisting Emigration to Upper Canada : the Petworth Project, 1832-1837 / by Wendy Cameron and Mary McDougall Maude and English immigrant voices : labourers letters from Upper Canada in the 1830's, both of which were published by McGill-Queen's University Press in 2000.
The files retained by the Project fall into three broad categories :
- the "results of genealogical research in England and the family history files used in creating the list in Part 2 of Assisting emigration;
- files relating to research in Canadian genealogical resources;
- files dealing with the process and creation of the books." Included are correspondence among the primary researchers and to and from individuals relating to families and individual emigrants, data sheets and electronic databases relating to Petworth emigrants and sponsors, photocopies of original correspondence and documents, research notes, drafts and working papers relating to the editing of the final manuscripts.
The fonds is arranged in ten series:
- Family information sheets: master files (file 1-673);
- Family information sheets: questionnaires and data (file 674-793);
- Families files (file 794-826);
- Research files: England (file 827-909);
- Research files: England: Wendy Cameron (file 910-993);
- Research: Canada: Brenda Merriman (file 994-1049);
- Research: Canada: places (file 1050-1107);
- Research: planning and process (file 1108-1162);
- Publication process (file 1163-1189);
- Electronic files.
Title from the content of the fonds.
Donated by the Jackman Foundation in 2000.
Copyright retained by the donor.
Detailed finding aid available.
Call number: GA 136
Visit the Petworth Emigration Project website.