Kathleen (Kay) A. Rex, reporter and writer, was born in 1918, the daughter of Lionel and Grace Rex of Woodstock, Ontario. In 1941, after graduating from university, Rex began work with the Woodstock Sentinel, a local daily newspaper, moving to the Canadian Press (CP) in 1942, where she worked in various CP bureaus across the country including Vancouver, Ottawa and Toronto. In 1953, Rex left the Canadian Press, thereafter gaining employment with the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC). In 1957 she began work as a freelance journalist, traveling first to Mexico City. In 1959 Rex joined the Globe and Mail where she worked until 1983. Her stories brought to the paper an early form of feminism, highlighting women's issues including poverty, daycare, immigration, health, employment and peace. Upon retirement from the Globe and Mail, Rex became president of the Toronto Branch of the Canadian Authors Association. Her retirement from journalism also allowed Rex to begin research on a history of the Canadian Women's Press Club of which she was a member. Published in 1995, No Daughter of Mine: The Women and History of the Canadian Women's Press Club, 1904-1971 tells the stories of the female journalists who were its members. Rex died on July 10, 2006 in Toronto at the age of 86 years. --From Library and Archives Canada Kay Rex fonds.
Kay Rex fonds
Kay Rex fonds. - [18--]-[ca. 2006].
2.6 m of textual records and other materials.
Fonds consists of materials created and accumulated by Kay Rex. Includes materials relating to her personal, family and professional life, correspondence, photographs, ephemera, artifacts, clippings, notes, etc. Also includes some materials relating to her aunt Frances Kathleen Montgomery and the Canadian Women's Press Club.
Arranged in ten series as follows:
- No Daughter of Mine
- Personal Life
- Professional Life
- Registered Nurses' Association of Ontario
- Suffragette Research
- Title based on contents of the fonds.
- Includes 338 photographs, 150 negatives, 326 slides, 1 sock darner, 1 pin, 1 metal box, 1 printing plate, 2 arrowheads, 2 audiocassettes.
- The extent is measured in linear metres of shelf space occupied by the fonds.
- Series are arranged alphabetically then chronologically.
- Donated by Joan Hollobon in 2012.
- Related records can be found in GA 94, Women's Press Club of Toronto, GA 111, Frances Kathleen Montgomery fonds.
Call number: GA 231
Kay Rex fonds : 2015 accrual
Kay Rex fonds : 2015 accrual. - 2006.
2 cm of textual records.
Accrual consists of materials primarily created posthumously relating to the life of Kay Rex. Includes a copy of her will, the order of service for her funeral, sympathy cards, and one photograph of Kay.
- Title based on content of the accrual.
- Extent is measured in linear metres of shelf space as occupied by the accrual.
- Donated by Andy Visser-DeVries in 2015.
- Related records can be found in GA 94 Canadian Women's Press Club of Toronto fonds and GA 111 Frances Kathleen Montgomery fonds.
Call number: GA 274