Jeremy M. Bergen
(519) 885-0220 ext. 24234
Office: CGUC 2112
Editor, The Conrad Grebel Review
BTh, Canadian Mennonite Bible College, 1996
BA, University of Winnipeg, 1997
MA, University of St. Michael’s College, 2002
PhD, University of St. Michael’s College, 2008
Contemporary Christian theology, Anabaptist theology, ecclesiology, ecumenism, Holy Spirit, church apologies, martyrdom
RS 152 – Introduction to Theology
RS 351 – Contemporary Christian Thought
RS 353 – War and Peace in Christian Theology
TS 600 – Thinking Theologically
TS 690 – Seminar in Theological Studies (Topic: Holy Spirit)
TS 718 – Systematic Theology
- “Lutheran Repentance at Stuttgart and Mennonite Ecclesial Identity,” Mennonite Quarterly Review 86 (2012): 315-338.
- Ecclesial Repentance: The Churches Confront Their Sinful Pasts. London: T&T Clark, 2011.
- “Baptism of Blood: Peace, Justice, and Christian Martyrdom,” in Peace and Justice: Essays from the Fourth Shi’i Muslim Mennonite Christian Dialogue, ed. Harry J. Huebner and Hajj Muhammad Legenhausen, 176-194. Winnipeg: CMU Press, 2011.
- Edited, with Anthony G. Siegrist, Power and Practices: Engaging the Work of John Howard Yoder. Scottdale, PA: Herald Press, 2009.
- “The Publicity of the Holy Spirit,” in Creed and Conscience: Essays in Honour of A. James Reimer, ed. Jeremy M. Bergen, Paul G. Doerksen, and Karl Koop, 219-236. Kitchener, ON: Pandora Press, 2007.
- “Problem or Promise? Confessional Martyrs and Mennonite–Roman Catholic Relations,” Journal of Ecumenical Studies 41 (2004): 367-388.
- “Reframing Anabaptism,” Mennonite Church Canada Ministers Conference. Waterloo, 4 July 2011.
- “Between Creed and Conscience: Dissent, Authority and the Dynamics of Conscience,” Shi’i Muslim Mennonite Christian Dialogue Conference on Theological Anthropology. Canadian Mennonite University, Winnipeg, 4 June 2011.
- "The Apologies of Church and State: Thinking Theologically About Canada's Apology for Indian Residential Schools in Light of Previous Church Statements," Ecclesiological Investigations Group, American Academy of Religion. Montreal, 8 November 2009.
- “The Communion of Saints: Forgiveness of Sins?” Leuven Encounters in Systematic Theology VI. Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium, 7 November 2007.
Fellowships and Awards:
- Doctoral Fellowship, Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada, 2005-2006.
- Essays in Ecumenism Award, North American Academy of Ecumenists, 2005.
Discover what Dr. Bergen finds exciting about teaching at Grebel below: