The Brubacher House was built in 1850 in a style typical of Pennsylvania German architecture. In this beautiful setting on the side of a gentle hill, Magdalena and John E. Brubacher raised fourteen children. Farming continued on the land until 1965 when the property was purchased as part of the University of Waterloo.
The University of Waterloo proposed to preserve and restore one of the original farm homes on the campus in recognition of the Pennsylvania German culture which was represented on the farmlands it purchased, and as a reminder that the total 1,000 acres of the university campus was once owned by Mennonites and devoted to agriculture.
Unfortunately before restoration could take place, the house was gutted by fire. However, plans for restoration continued with involvement and planning by the University of Waterloo and the Mennonite Historical Society of Ontario, Conrad Grebel University College and the Waterloo Regional Heritage Foundation. Under the direction of Simeon Martin, a master Mennonite craftsman, and with the assistance of many Mennonite farmers, the house interior was rebuilt to reflect a Pennsylvania German Mennonite home of the 1850-90 period. The furnishings are an authentic reflection of the time period, many of them having been collected from area Mennonite families.
Today the beautifully preserved home has become a landmark overlooking Columbia Lake and the University of Waterloo playing fields. The strong simple architectural lines of a past era contrast the modern lines of buildings on campus.
Why visit Brubacher House:
- Become acquainted with the Pennsylvania German heritage of Waterloo County.
- Learn first hand from knowledgeable tour guides about the life of a Pennsylvania German Mennonite family during the mid-nineteenth century.
- See an authentic depiction of a Pennsylvania German farm home in Waterloo County during the 1850-90 period.
- Watch a DVD depicting the history of Mennonites in Waterloo County.
Wednesday - Saturday: 2:00 - 5:00 PM
May 1 - October 31
Tours are also available by appointment at other times throughout the year. A special welcome to tour groups, families, school classes, community and church groups.
Maximum group size: 40-50 people
Length of tour: one hour
Brubacher House is on the University of Waterloo's North Campus. Turn north from Columbia Street at Hagey Boulevard. Turn left at first roundabout onto Frank Tompa Drive and follow road to the parking lot at the very end of the road.
Contact usBrubacher House
c/o University of Waterloo, North Campus
Operated by Conrad Grebel University College and the Mennonite Historical Society of Ontario. Owned by the University of Waterloo.