The 2019 University of Waterloo Chem 13 News and Avogadro exams were written online by a combined 6,948 grade 11 and 12 student worldwide. Here is a brief summary of the results.
|Exam name||Number of Students||Number of Schools||Average Score
(out of 40)
|Chem 13 News||2096||321||17.17||44.94|
Top scoring students from Canada and the United States each received a limited-edition plaque featuring an element from our Periodic Table Project. In recognition of the International Year of the Periodic Table, the award tiles featured hydrogen and oganesson, the first and last elements in the periodic table. In total 412 students across North America received an award tile.
Chem 13 News Exam awards
The following three Grade 12 students scored a perfect 40/40 on the Chem 13 News Exam:
- Christy Chan from R.C. Palmer Secondary School in Richmond, British Columbia, and
- Will Jeong from Richmond Hill High School in Richmond Hill, Ontario
- Thompson Marinho from Pearson College UWC in Victoria, British Columbia
Christy is shown alongside her teacher, John Shim (right). Pictured left is Will Jeong. Both students are holding their award tile and certificate of distinction. Our sincere thanks to the teachers who submitted the photos: John Shim, R.C. Palmer Secondary School in Richmond, British Columbia, and Linda Spatafora, Richmond Hill High School in Richmond Hill, Ontario. (Not pictured: Thompson Marinho.)
Avogadro Exam awards
The following four Grade 11 students scored a perfect 40/40 on the Avogadro Exam:
- Junyang Jiang from Pearson College UWC, Victoria, British Columbia;
- Rana Behzadi from La Citadelle International Academy of Arts and Science, Toronto Ontario;
- Andrew Kim from Colonel By Secondary School, Ottawa, Ontario;
- Claire Sheng from Richmond Secondary School, Richmond, British Columbia.
Congratulations on an outstanding achievement!
In order from left to right: Junyang Jiang, Rana Behzadi, Andrew Kim, Claire Sheng. Claire is shown alongside her teacher, Nathalie Borrut. All four students are holding their award tile. Our sincere thanks to the teachers who submitted the photos: Garth Irwin, Pearson College UWC; Daniela Eftimie, La Citadelle International Academy of Arts and Science; Leanne Houston, Colonel By Secondary School and Michael Eastwood, Richmond Secondary School.
Save the date for the 2020 exams!
- Chem 13 News Exam, Thursday, May 14, 2020
- Avogadro Exam, Thursday, May 21, 2020