Readers of Chem 13 News will recognize the name of this year’s winner of the Chemical Institute of Canada Beaumier Award for excellence in teaching chemistry at the high school or CÉGEP level in Canada. Michael P Jansen has been engaging Chem 13 News readers with his monthly editorial “Is this on the exam?” for the past five years and has been an active member of the Chem 13 News Editorial Board since 2008. His uncompromising approach to chemical education and willingness to share have not only encouraged his own students in chemistry, but have made him an excellent role model and mentor to many teachers.
To celebrate we will feature some of Mike’s hands-on classroom activities for the rest of 2017. He has generated and tested these with his student “Chemical Education Research Group”. Don’t worry, his opinion piece will still be there to challenge our readers (next page).
Dr Judith Poë, University of Toronto presenting the CIC 2017 Beaumier Award to Michael Jansen:
Nomination deadlines for national awards for chemistry teachers
Do you know someone in your department who should be recognized? Let’s showcase the work of chemistry teachers! To find more information, go to the websites of the national institutes. Here are some of the national awards to consider.
- Canada (Chemical Institute of Canada)
- Beaumier Award for High School/CÉGEP Chemistry Teachers, deadline: October 15
- USA (American Chemical Society)
- James Bryant Conant Award in High School Chemistry Teaching, deadline: November 1, Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc. sponsored
- UK (The Royal Society of Chemistry)
- Schools Education Award, deadline January 15