As educators over the past several years, we are aware that students are often challenged by certain concepts in the high school chemistry program. As a result, we have developed these multi-sensory and hands-on learning activities. The games are designed for students to work individually, in small groups, or within the entire class setting. The activities can be done at the beginning of class, to bridge major concepts, in the last ten minutes of class to check student understanding, or during tutorial time. Some students also take the activities home to review and prepare. This gives students the flexibility and choice to select activities that best support their learning preferences.
To give a broad overview and capture the gist of these games, we selected images of some favourite activities. If one or more of these activities interest you, all of the templates, rules, guidelines and files along with assessments are available to download for free on our playeducateinspire.pbworks.com wikispace.
The pbworks wikispace was started in 2012 to post the activites we were doing in our classes. Currently, over 1000 invited users are using this space throughout North America and New Zealand. Teachers are welcome to upload files to share on the site. This article showcases only a sampling of some of the shared activities created and uploaded by teachers who have become members of our wikispace.
We hope that you will enjoy using these activities as much as our students do!
Magnetic puzzles, paper triominoes, squares, and templates
- Periodic puzzles
- Acid naming & mole calculation triominoes
- Compound naming squares (Tracey Stock, Elk Island School District, AB)
3D printed plastic dice, paper dice, wooden, acrylic dice, and templates (3D printing files also available at Wikispace).
- Anion/cation dice (solubility)
- Molecular compound dice
- Ionic compound dice
- Organic compound dice
Magnetic with metal stand or whiteboard, paper cardstock and templates.
- Interpreting graphs, equilibrium, gas laws, uniform/non-uniform motion
- Compare/contrast concepts/terms, organic reactions and organic families, exo/endothermic reactions, electrochemical cells, oxidation/reduction, chemical reactions
- Scientific Inquiry method
- Chemical/Physical properties
- Redox and Acid/Base card games
Organic Ester Rummy, Organic cards
Plays, poems, memes, Venn diagrams, science yoga
- Voltaic cell play
- Modeling atoms/ions, beaker, styrofoam balls to represent protons, neutrons, electrons
Overviews and relays
- pH titration curves; reaction, lab equipment
- Science waves, Criss-Cross Chemistry
- ICE table, graphs, and Kc calculations
Amphiprotic substances terms and definitions
Used to sequence procedures, hierarchy of substances, and matching
- Calorimetry procedure, Combustion of Fuel, Formation of MgO, Heat of Neutralization or Solution
Unit review and course review mats
- Organized by unit/topic includes examples
- Used as a checklist or review of material covered in class