Funding opportunities

There are several forms and types of financial assistance available for the well-qualified student. These are as follows:

Teaching assistantships (TAs)

Each department has a limited number of TAs available to qualified students. These vary in amount, but they do not exceed about $5,492 per term. Depending upon the amount of the assistantship, the responsibilities vary from 5-12 hours of work per week. Normally, a candidate will instruct one or two laboratory classes per week, but the job assignments can vary with departmental needs. Thesis masters students will usually be funded for three terms and PhD students for six terms. Coursework masters students will normally be funded for two terms.

Ontario Graduate Scholarships (OGS)

To be eligible, students must intend to pursue graduate studies at an Ontario university. Applicants must have a high level of academic achievement, with first-class standing in most courses. The deadline for these awards is normally in October; applicants should get application forms through their home department at their current school or from:

Ministry of Colleges and Universities
8th Floor, Mowat Block, Queen's Park
Toronto, Ontario M7A 1L2

The awards are intended primarily for Canadian citizens and landed immigrants, but a small number is awarded to student visa holders. Awards are for two or three consecutive terms.

Social Sciences & Humanities Research Council (SSHRC)

Offers fellowships for PhD candidates in the social sciences and humanities. Inquiries should be made early in the fall. Application forms can be obtained from either:

Awards Section
Social Sciences & Humanities Research Council
P.O. Box 1047
Ottawa, Ontario K1P 5V8

or to the graduate studies office of your home university.

Natural Sciences & Engineering Research Council (NSERC)

Offers awards to candidates pursuing graduate study in the physical sciences. Inquiries should be directed to:

Awards Section
National Research Council of Canada
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0R6

University of Waterloo/Wilfrid Laurier University

Both universities provide some scholarship money, for which no special application forms outside the normal program application are needed. Funds may also be available to help those on student visas during the summer months.

The Northern Scientific Training Program

This program is administered by the Northern Studies Committee of each university. It seeks applications annually from graduate students and senior undergraduates who, in association with a faculty member, are conducting research in the Canadian North. From an annual grant from the Department of Indian Affairs and Northern Development, monies are made available to individual applicants. These grants are to be applied to costs incurred in the North.

International students

International students may wish to search for possible financial support on the Laurier's fees and financial aid page or UWaterloo's scholarship programs for international students page.