Title: Cedar Grove Mennonite Church fonds
Dates of creation: 1895-1986
Physical description: 40 cm of textual records
Administrative history: Located on the west side of 10th Line of Markham Township north of Steeles Avenue, the congregation began services in 1867, and formally organized in 1912. The grounds were used as a cemetery from as early as 1824. The first building was erected in 1861. At that time it was primarily used for funerals. Samuel Reesor is considered the founding leader of the group. The congregation originated through immigration from Pennsylvania.
Samuel Hoover was the first minister to preach in English (about 1882). The first Sunday school was held in 1896. Ministers prior to 1950 included Samuel Hoover, John G. Hoover, L. J. Burkholder (for fifty years) and A. Lorne Burkholder. Samuel G. Reesor, a deacon, died in the pulpit in August 1913 while leading in prayer.
The congregation was a member of the Mennonite Conference of Ontario and Quebec, and participated in the Markham Mennonite Council. Cedar Grove merged with the Steeles Avenue Mennonite Church in 1986 to form the Rouge Valley Mennonite Church.
Custodial history: The congregation made regular donations to the Mennonite Archives of Ontario
Notes: For further information see: Mennonite Encyclopedia, "Cedar Grove"; Mennonite Reporter, (Jan. 7, 1985), 12; L.J. Burkholder, A Brief History of the Mennonites in Ontario (1935), 107-111
Original archival description created December 1999 by Sam Steiner
Series 1: Formal records
- Business meeting records, 1953-1969, 1977, 1984-1985
- Markham Mennonite Council minutes, 1984-1985
Note: Moved to XV-81 Markham Mennonite Council.
- Documents re: change to elder system, 1984-1985?
- Congregational covenant, 1982-1983
- Financial and other reports, 1958-1964
- Baptismal record books, 1921-1936, 1958-1980
- Membership letters of transfer, 1910-1957
- Sunday school attendance records,
1896-1930s? (scattered class books)
Union Sunday school Sunday school register, 1887-1899, 1900-1943
- Summer Bible School records, 1934-1950s
Series 2: Informal records
- Programmes, clippings, 1895-1985
- Correspondence, 1931-1985(scattered)
- Maps, 1909 (showing boundaries of church districts); 1967 Cedar Grove centennial map
Series 3: Church bulletins
Series 4: Newsletter
Cedar Post, 1981-1983
Return to congregations page
Back to top