THIS SITE

Information for

Land acknowledgement

Conrad Grebel University College is situated on the traditional territory of the Attawandaron (Neutral), Anishinaabeg and Haudenosaunee peoples. The College, and the University of Waterloo, was built on the Haldimand Tract, the land given in treaty in 1784 to the Six Nations that includes 10 kilometres on each side of the Grand River from its source in Dundalk Township to its mouth at Lake Erie.

The Mennonites were the first permanent white settlers in the area we know today as Waterloo Region. In the early 19th century, the initial settlers were led to the Grand River, with its surrounding fertile soil and forests by a guide from the Mississauga of the Anishinaabe peoples who lived here and understood the land. In 1805 Mennonites from Pennsylvania purchased 60,000 acres of land – Block 2 of the Haldimand Tract – in present-day Kitchener-Waterloo.

Mennonites now live, and continue to settle, on the full length of the Haldimand Tract. The land was given in treaty to support the Six Nations in perpetuity, but this did not happen. Our work at reconciliation with Indigenous peoples includes decolonizing our historical narratives, our minds, and our hearts. This is an ongoing process, and we have a long way to go.  We do this in humility and gratitude to our Indigenous neighbours, past and present. 

Resources

Changing Historical Naratives at Grebel

Truth and Reconciliation Response Projects at the University of Waterloo

Mennonite Church Canada Indigenous-Settler Relations program

Mennonite Central Committee Indigenous Neighbours program

Grebel garden sign