Title: Glen Allan Mennonite Church fonds
Dates of creation: 1944-2000
Physical description: 80 cm. of textual records, one photo album
Administrative history: The church was located on Main St. in Glen Allan, Ontario.
The congregation began services in 1944, and formally organized in 1949. The first building was occupied in 1944, with a subsequent building program in 1953. Amos Brubacher is considered the founding leader of the group. The congregation originated through colonization from Waterloo County a farmers looked for cheaper land.
In 1950 there were 9 members; in 1965, 60; in 1975, 64; in 1985, 56; in 1995, 69. The congregation was a mission congregation until 1963 when it affiliated with the Mennonite Conference of Ontario (1963-198820-Feb-2007ence of Eastern Canada (1988-1999) and the Conference of Mennonites in Canada (1995-1999). The congregation held its last service in August 1999. The building was sold to the New Covenant Mennonite Fellowship, an indepen20-Feb-2007 was held September 12, 1999. Funds garnered from the sale were used to support missionaries who had been sponsored by the congregation.
Pastoral leaders between 1944 and 1999 included Amos Brubacher (1944-1956), Amsey Martin (1956-1966), Nelson Martin (1966-1975), Menno Zehr (Interim, 1975/1976), Henry Yantzi (1976-1979), Richard Brenneman (1979-1982), Jacob Roes (1982-1990), Willard Metzger (Interim, 1990/91), Mark Hallman (1991-1996), Winston Martin (Interim, 1997-1998).
Custodial history: The congregation has made periodic donations to the Mennonite Archives of Ontario; the final deposit was made in June 2000 by Aden Brubacher.
Scope and Content: There are four series: Formal records, Informal records, Church bulletins
For photographs related to this congregation search the Mennonite Archival Image Database.
For sound recordings related to this congregation see, see Hist.Mss.9.25.
An encyclopedia entry for this congregation may be found in GAMEO
Original archival description created June 2000 by Sam Steiner
Series 1: Formal records
- Membership books
- Marriage register
- Congregational meeting minutes
- Church Council minutes
- Financial journals
1950-1955 (also includes diary of some activities)
- Financial statements; list of officers
1960, 1966-1968, 1971, 1975-1994, 1996
- Sunday school records
- Summer Bible School records
- Girls' Sewing Circle
Secretary's book, 1953-1954
- Sunday evening services
- Documents related to conveyance of church property to Mennonite Foundation, 1999-2000
- Guidelines for marriage procedures, n.d.
Series 2: Informal records
- Misc. programs, 1953-1999
- Congregational profile, 1975, 1991
- Church Growth/Living in Faithful Evangelism (LIFE) materials, 1988-1990s
- Survey on closing the church, may 1998
- Pictorial directory, 1986
- 50 years at Glen Allan Mennonite Church, 1944-1994
- Church diaries maintained by Tobias Brubacher, 1950-1989 (includes typescript version into the 1960s); also a few other historical items
- Photo album, 1976
Series 3: Church bulletins
1961-1996 (includes other printed materials circulated with bulletins)
Return to congregations page
Back to top