Title: Hanover Mennonite Church fonds
Dates of creation: 1961-2011
Note: Further accruals are expected.
Physical description: 73 cm. of textual records
Administrative history: The Hanover Mennonite Fellowship began mid-week services in 1961. The first meeting was held November 22, 1961 in the home of Albert Grove. Amos Martin of Glen Allen brought the message; seven persons were present.
In December 1963 the group began to meet in a chapel that was part of the Sam Shantz home and had been renovated for worship. In May 1967 construction began on the church building at 172 5th St. in Hanover; it was dedicated in April 1968.
In 1975 the congregation began a fellowship in Chesley, Ontario. For nineteen years the Hanover-Chesley Fellowship had two meetingplaces with one pastor and one organization. They met separately for Sunday worship and Sunday School. In 1995 the two groups agreed to proceed as separate congregations.
Pastoral leadership has been provided by Amsey Martin, Elvin Burkholder, John Atkinson, Arthur Byer, Ernie Martin, Maurice Martin, Wayne Nafziger, Winston Martin and Anita Janzen.
Custodial history: Accessions have been received from time to time, with some materials coming almost annually.
Scope and Content: The fonds consists of formal and informal church records, and church bulletins.
Notes: Original description created by Sam Steiner, November 16, 1999
Series 1: Formal Records
- Hanover building project, 1967-1968
- Financial record book re: building fund, 1964-1968
- Congregational minutes & reports, 1972-1986
Congregational minutes & reports, 1986-1992 (includes Council minutes)
Congregational minutes & reports, 1993-2002 (includes Council / Leadership minutes)
Congregational minutes & reports, 2003- (includes Leadership minutes)
- Church Council minutes, 1966-1974
Church Council minutes, 1974-1985
- Slate of church officers, 1970-1985
- Directory of members and adherents, 1982, 1985, [2004?]
- Job descriptions, evaluations, questionnaires, pastoral letters, etc., 1963-
- Family campout materials, 1981-1985
- Congregational profile, 1975, 1989
- WMSA record book, 1965-1970
- Sunday school record book, 1964-1969
- Sunday school treasurer's records, 1964-1969
- Boys & Girls Club records, 1968-1973
- Congregational account book
Series 2: Informal Records
- Twentieth anniversary programs and handwritten comments, 1983
- Children's drawings done for 20th anniversary, 1983
- Chesley Mennonite Fellowship dedication service materials, 1976
- Misc. programs and clippings (includes anniversary, ordination and installation programs)
- Misc. correspondence, 1975-1982, 2008
- Congregational historian notes, 1962-1980s
Series 3: Church bulletins
11 Nov 2007-10 Apr 2011
Series 4: Newsletters
Oct/Nov/Dec 2007-Apr/May/Jun 2010
Oct/Nov/Dec 2010-Apr/May/Jun 2011
Return to congregations page
Back to top
Last modified 09-Jan-2012 by Laureen Harder-Gissing