Title: Poole Mennonite Church fonds
Dates of creation: 1918-2006
Note: Further accruals are expected.
Physical description: 1.5 m of textual records
Administrative history: The congregation was first known as the Mornington (after Mornington Township) Amish Mennonite congregation when the congregation began meeting in homes. The congregation resulted in 1874 from the natural growth into the area experienced by the East Zorra, Wilmot and Wellesley Amish Mennonite settlements.
In 1886 some members decided to build a meetinghouse on the site located 1/2 mile north of Poole, and 3 miles south of Millbank on Perth Road 121. Other members disagreed, giving rise to the group that became known as the Old Order Amish, and which continued to hold services in homes. In 1903 additional contentious issues arose within the meetinghouse group regarding the introduction of Sunday School, worship style, etc. Most of the leaders then left with some of the congregation to start the Nafziger or Poole (West) congregation. The Poole congregation was first known as the Mornington Amish Mennonite congregation.
In 1900 there were 105 members; in 1925, 111; in 1950, 250; in 1965, 278; in 1975, 327; in 1985, 390; in 1995, 320.
Pastoral leaders since 1874 have included: Joseph Gerber (Bishop, 1874-1893), Joseph U. Ropp (1873-1910), Christian L. Kuepfer (1879-1886), Andrew Kuepfer (1879-1886), Nicholas Nafziger (1891 ;Bishop, 1896)-1902), Peter Spenler (1891-1902), John Nafziger (1892-1902), Peter Boshart (1903-1927), Christian Schultz (1905; Bishop, 1926-1952), Christian Lichty (1940-1959), Amos Brunk (1940-1973), Herbert Schultz (1955-1970), Amsey Martin (1970-1982), Vernon Zehr (Interim, 1983), David Brubacher (1983-1990), David Rogalsky (1990-1999), Reynold Kipfer (Interim, 1999/2000), Paul Dyck (2000- )
Custodial history: Accessions have been received from time to time, with some materials coming almost annually.
Scope and content: There are three series: Formal Records, Informal Records and Church Bulletins. See also the photograph collection for Poole-related items.
Notes: For more information see: A history of the Poole Mennonite Church: a people on the way, 1874-1986(Milverton, Ont.: Poole Mennonite Church, 1986), 74 pp
Original description created Jan 2000 by Sam Steiner.
See also the Worship Services listing in Sound Recordings for congregation-related services.
Photographs relating to the congregation can be located using the Archives Mennonite Archival Image Database.
Series 1: Formal records
- Annual reports
1969-71 (financial only)
1988-2004 (meeting held year following, i.e., 1988 book is for 1987)
- Congregational profile
- Church directory
1977, 1983, 1986, 1987, 1997/98, 2006 (inclement weather chain)
- Church Council minutes,
- Congregational minutes
1919-1969 (also includes financial records 1918-1945, and 1945 membership list)
- Fidelas Literary/Mennonite Youth Fellowship (MYF) records
1951-1980 (Financial records)
1954-1958 (Midnight Echoes)
- Junior Prayer Meeting
- Financial records
1931-1967 (membership and annual dues records)
1946-1971 (income and expenses)
1973-1974, 1976-1979 (income and expenses)
1969-1985 (Sunday evening services)
- Women's Missionary and Service Commission (WMSC)
Financial records, 1965-1996
Ladies Inspiration events, 2006-2008
- Junior Sewing Circle / Willing Workers Circle
- Policy Documents/Documents related to Pastoral Leadership, e.g. Profiles
- Sunday school attendance records
1983-1984, 2008-2009 (junior)
- Summer Bible School programs/attendance records
- Worship Committee
Series 2: Informal records
- Misc. programs, 1911 (Bible Conference), 1928, 1933, 1934, 1935, 1936, 1939, 1946, 1948, 1966, etc.
- Ontario Mennonite Evangel article on Poole building, 1966
- Church historian's files of programs, news clippings, etc., 1982-1989
- Missionary Project, 1948
- Church historian's record book, 1985-1996
- Record book of the Wellesley-Wilmot Congregation 1861-1921 (copy of typescript)
- For Your Information, Dec. 2002-2006
- Mornington Amish Mennonite Church : celebrating 100 years 1904-2004 / Jantzi, Aaron J., Jantzi, Martha.--[Poole, Ont. : The Church, 2004]
- "Mornington (Poole) Amish Mennonite Congregation: the first forty-five years" by Brent Kipfer, 1990. (Student paper)
- Special programs
Series 3: Church Bulletins
Series 4: Newsletter
Poole People, 1989-2006
Return to congregations page
Back to top