Dates of creation: 1940s-1999
Note: Further accruals are expected.
Physical description: 25 cm of textual records
Administrative history: The congregation is located at R.R. 2, Baden, Ontario, 1 km west of St. Agatha on Erb Street.
The congregation began services at the St. Agatha meetinghouse in 1885, but formally organized as a separate congregation in 1957 when the congregation formally separated from from Steinmann Mennonite Church. The two groups had shared the name Wilmot Amish Mennonite when they existed as one congregation with two places of worship. The 1885 meetinghouse was completely rebuilt in 1953 with a basement.
In 1965 there were 141 members; in 1975, 110; in 1985, 113. The congregation affiliated with the Western Ontario Mennonite Conference in 1957, the Mennonite Conference of Eastern Canada in 1988 and the Conference of M ennonites in Canada in 1995.
Pastoral leaders since 1957 have included: Peter Nafziger, Gerald Schwartzentruber, Nelson Martin, Darrell Jantzi, Steve Gerber, Emmanuel George, Brent Kipfer and Doug Snyder.
For more information see: Lillian Kennel, History of the Wilmot Amish Mennonite congregation : Steinman and St. Agatha Mennonite churches, 1824-1984 (Baden, Ont. : Steinmann Mennonite Church, 1984)
Custodial history: Accessions have been received from time to time.
Note: Original description created March 2000 by Sam Steiner
Series 1: Formal records
- Annual reports, 1958-1985, 1990-1991, 1993-1994
- Church council minutes, May 1988, 1990-1993
- Church directory, 1986, 1989-1991
- Congregational profile, 1985, 1990
Series 2: Informal records
- Misc. programs, 1940s?, 1953, 1999
Series 2: Church Bulletins
Return to congregations page
Back to top