Classification scheme: 

Dates of creation: 1941-1998

65 cm of textual records

1772 Queen St. E., Toronto, ON, M4L 1G6. (416) 699-6631

The congregation began services in 1930s, and formally organized in 1948. The first building was occupied in 1956, with a subsequent building program in 1997. Prior to 1956 the congregation met in homes. H. A. Claassen is considered the founding leader of the group. The congregation originated through urbanization from rural Ontario beginning 1928.

In 1997 Toronto United Mennonite shared space with the New Life Faith Community in a new facility.

The congregation has been affiliated with the Conference of United Mennonite Churches of Ontario, The General Conference Mennonite Church (1956-1999) the Mennonite Conference of Eastern Canada (1988-) and Mennonite Church Canada. The language of worship is English; the transition from German occurred in the 1940s.

Leading ministers since 1948 have included H.A. Claassen (1948), Frank Dyck (1949-1950), Bill Dick (1950-1961), Nick Dick (1961-1968), Ed & Marianne Enns (Lay leaders, 1968/1969),  Helmut Harder (Interim, 1969/70), Darrell Fast (1970-1986), Osiah Horst (Interim, 1986/87), Gary Harder (1987-2007), David Brubacher (Interim, 2007-2009), Marilyn Zehr (2009- )

In 1950 there were 11 members; in 1965, 84; in 1975, 109; in 1985, 149; in 1995, 172.

For further information see: 25 anniversary year, 1948-1973/74: Toronto United Mennonite Church (Toronto : The Church, 1974).

For a sound recording produced by Toronto United Mennonite Church, see: Hist.Mss.9.24/14 TUMC history interview with Harvey Dyck : Vietnam refugee settlement and SCOC Mennonite Library.

Custodial history: The congregation has made periodic donations to the Mennonite Archives of Ontario

Created March 2000 by Sam Steiner

There are four series: Formal records, Informal records, Church bulletins and Newsletter

Series 1: Formal records

  1. Correspondence, minutes re: Toronto United Mennonite Mission, 1941-1945
  2. Directories, early 1960s?, 1966, 1977/78, 1981, 1983-1985, 1988-1989, 1991-1998, 2002-2003
  3. Annual reports, 1970-1985, 1987-1994, 1996-1997, 2000-2002
  4. St. Clair O'Conner Community documents, 1982-1983

Series 2: Informal records

25 anniversary year, 1948-1973/74: Toronto United Mennonite Church (Toronto : The Church, 1974) (3 copies); Program from 50th anniversary

"Art for Concern" event poster

Series 3: Church bulletins

1956-1959 (random copies), 
1960-1996 May. Note: Includes farewell message of Bill Dick (1961) and a Sunday School Christmas program (1977). 
1997-1998 August
2000 September-2002 November
2003 January-2003 February

Series 4: Newsletter

Pastor's Assistant, 1962, 1971-1973
Place of meeting, 1973-1997
October 2000-February 2003
April 2007
March 2010, pp. 9-10


The Archives is accessible by appointment only. Please do not visit or bring in donations unannounced.


Mennonite Archives of Ontario
Conrad Grebel University College
140 Westmount Road North
Waterloo, ON N2L 3G6

Phone: 519-885-0220 x24238