Our programs

Pharmacy co-op student researching

Quick links:


122+ co-op programs...

  • Waterloo offers more than 120 co-op programs.
  • More than 60 per cent of undergraduate students are enrolled in the co-op program.

Please view the list of Waterloo’s co-op programs in the study/work sequence chart in the undergraduate calendar.

Typical jobs co-op students find

Many students find typical co-op jobs relating to their faculty and program of study; however, you’re encouraged to apply to any type of job that for which you feel qualified, as long as it meets faculty guidelines.

See the examples of typical job positions students find based on their faculty below.

How long does co-op take to complete?

  • In most programs, co-op takes about five academic years to complete.
  • You may have up to six, four-month work terms included in your curriculum.

Study/work sequences

Study terms alternate with work terms, creating a study/work sequence.

Study/work sequences vary between programs. A work term is usually four months long, but some programs have double work terms that are eight months long.

Some co-op programs start:

  • After four months of study (stream 4),  
  • After eight months of study (stream 8), or
  • In second year.

Study/work sequences end on academic terms. Work terms must be completed before entering 4B term.

To determine the study/work sequence related to your program and cohort, please view the study/work sequence chart in the Undergraduate Calendar.

Change of study/work sequence

You’re not encouraged to change your assigned study/work sequence.

Requests for change of study/work sequences will be considered if:

  • Made at least one-month prior to the start of the term in which the switch will occur.
  • The Request for Academic/Work Term Sequence Change Form has been submitted.
  • Your academic and co-op status are in good standing.

If you’re in Engineering or Science, you must receive permission from your Undergraduate Program Advisor to switch sequences.

Requests for changing your study/work sequence will not be considered if:

  • You’re requesting to end your sequence on a work term.
  • You’re requesting a work term longer than 8 months.
  • There is a lack of choice of core elective subjects during particular academic terms.

Inter-faculty transfer of co-op work term credits 

Credit for successfully completed co-op work terms may be transferred between programs in different faculties. For transfer of co-op work terms credits to occur, the student must normally have at least satisfactory standing and their new prescribed study/work sequence must be sufficient to meet academic residency requirements and the student can attain the required number of study-relevant work terms for the co-op designation in the destination program. Depending on the destination program, this may be either an additional two work terms or otherwise half of the required number of work terms. The destination program/faculty may offer exceptional co-op credit transfer arrangements to students in unique situations or having special circumstances − such situations are considered on a case-by-case basis and normally involve consultation with Co-operative Education & Career Action.

Academic standings

Each faculty has its own minimum academic standards.

If you don't achieve and maintain your program’s academic standards you may need to withdraw from the co-op program. You will then continue in the regular (non-co-op) program, unless you’re in a mandatory co-op program.

If you raise your grades within a certain period, re-entering the co-op program may be possible. Academic standards by faculty are listed in the undergraduate calendar.

Graduating from the co-op program

You must have received credit for the minimum number of work terms, work reports and PD credits for the co-op program of your faculty in which you enrolled (shown in the study/work sequence chart of the Undergraduate Calendar).

Your last work term and work report must be completed before your 4B academic term.

You must be registered as a full-time co-op student up to and including your last academic term to be granted a co-op designation on your degree.

  • Exception: you have enough credits to register as a part-time student for your final academic term, as long as all faculty requirements are met.