Graduate students

Friday, November 17, 2023 — 1:30 PM to 2:30 PM EST

Government Relations and the Copyright Advisory Committee are inviting you to a consultation on copyright and artificial intelligence. The feedback provided in this consultation will help us prepare an institutional response to the federal government survey.

Tuesday, September 26, 2023

We want your feedback on copyright services

The Copyright Advisory Committee is collecting feedback on the copyright services offered across campus. We’re looking for feedback from all instructors, staff, and graduate students.

When: September 26 – October 18, 2023

Friday, November 25, 2022

Copyright term changes to life plus 70 years

As of December 30, 2022, the copyright term in Canada will be changing from author's life plus 50 years to the author's life plus 70 years. This change was made as part of Bill C-19, the Budget Implementation Act, and is required by Canada's obligations under the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement (CUSMA).

What does this mean for me?

Monday, June 27, 2022

Website redesign complete

Our website has been redesigned to make it easier to use. The Copyright Advisory Committee welcomes your feedback; please fill out the website feedback form or reach out to Lauren Byl, copyright & licensing librarian with your thoughts.

Content has been arranged into three streams:

52. How do I ask for permission to use figures/images/tables from an academic publication?

Most academic publishers provide some way of asking permission to use an article through the website that hosts the content. A "request permissions" button will usually be available and will direct you to the service (such as the Copyright Clearance Center) that grants permission. These forms generally ask questions about what you plan to do with the content and usually have an option for reuse in a thesis/dissertation.

50. May I publish work (an article, a chapter, or a book) based on my thesis?

Generally, yes. You own the copyright to your thesis, which means you may reuse the work however you see fit as long as your reuse does not impact the University's ability to host a copy of the thesis on UWSpace (remember, you are required to provide a non-exclusive distribution licence to the University). If you did want to publish parts of your thesis as a journal article or as part of a scholarly book, you would also be responsible for clearing the copyright of any third-party materials (including images, figures, tables, and longer quotations) in the later manuscript.

What is a vanity publisher and why does it matter?

What is the issue? 

Many graduate students and post-docs have been contacted with an offer to publish their thesis. A lot of these publishing offers are coming from vanity presses that take advantage of researchers' desire to be published to advance in their field. 

What is a vanity press?

Vanity press: a publishing house that publishes books at the author's expense —called also vanity publisher

49. Is there anyone available to help me obtain permission to use copyright-protected materials? 

The W Store obtains copyright-related permissions for printed courseware; the Library obtains permissions for Course Reserves material; and the Centre for Extended Learning obtains permissions for fully online courses. For other uses, you may obtain permission yourself by emailing or writing a letter to the copyright owner.