Journal Article

Questions related to use of journal articles.

47. Am I permitted to make photocopies of copyright-protected materials at a W Print outlet?

It depends on how much you want to copy. The W Print staff can help you determine if the copyright-protected materials you wish to photocopy require permission from the rightsholder. If you have any questions before visiting a W Print outlet, please call extension 33996 or send an email to

45. If I have permission to put something on one of Waterloo's learning management systems (such as LEARN), does this mean I may also include it in my courseware?

If the copy posted to a learning management system is covered by fair dealing, it is likely that the copy can be included in courseware without permission as well. If, however, the copy posted to a learning management system is permitted under a licence agreement between Waterloo and the publisher, it is necessary to consult the licence agreement to determine whether a copy may also be included in courseware.

43. Do I need to obtain permission to use copyright material in my course packs?

Under fair dealing, short excerpts of copyright-protected materials may be included in course packs without permission. See the Fair Dealing Advisory for details. In addition some materials covered by licences that the Library has for electronic resources may be included in course packs.

42. What are licences for electronic resources?

The University of Waterloo Library has contracts with a variety of vendors and publishers that provide the campus with thousands of electronic resources (databases, e-journals, e-books, etc.) costing millions of dollars per year.

38. Is Course Reserves permitted to scan articles or chapters and put them on electronic reserve for students in my course?

Yes. In many cases, works may be scanned and posted under fair dealing or licence terms without the need to obtain permission. When permission is required, this process can take several weeks. When there is a fee for permission, the Library will usually be able to absorb the cost as long as it is reasonable. 

29. Is there any difference between posting something on my own website versus posting something on one of Waterloo's learning management systems (such as LEARN)?

Yes. Posting something on your own website means you are making the work openly available worldwide. Wide distribution tends toward the conclusion that the dealing is not “fair,” and such uses are unlikely to be covered by any University licences. By contrast, Waterloo's learning management systems are password-protected, secure websites that are accessible to students enrolled in university courses. In some cases, posting material on a learning management system will be covered by one of the University’s electronic subscriptions.

16. Are there special rules for scanning copyrighted materials?

If you want to scan something, you may do so only if the use falls within one of the exceptions in the Copyright Act (such as fair dealing) or when no permission is required (such as scanning a work that is in the public domain).