A student who has a question or complaint is advised to follow normal administrative channels: supervisor, department Chair or Graduate Officer, the Associate Dean of Graduate Studies in each Faculty, Faculty Dean and/or Associate Vice-President, Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs.

There are several other on-campus individuals and services/facilities available to advise and assist students; these include: the Director, Conflict Management and Human Rights; the Ombudsperson; AccessAbility Services; the Graduate Student Association. Counselling Services, Health & Safety, and the University of Waterloo Police all provide comfort and support for students in distress.

The Office of Conflict Management and Human Rights provides two services: the Resolution Support Program (RSP), and the Conflict Intervention Program (CIP). RSP provides non-advocacy one-on-one trained volunteer support for persons working through informal or formal resolution processes on campus. CIP provides a volunteer mediation service for parties working through resolutions.