The program information below is valid for the fall 2022 term (September 1, 2022 - December 31, 2022).
The Graduate Studies Academic Calendar is updated 3 times per year, at the start of each academic term (January 1, May 1, September 1). Graduate Studies Academic Calendars from previous terms can be found in the archives.
Students are responsible for reviewing the general information and regulations section of the Graduate Studies Academic Calendar.
Length of program
- Full-time: 4 terms (16 months)
- Part-time: 8 terms (32 months)
- Study option(s)
Additional program information
- The University of Waterloo does not provide funding for MEng in Civil Engineering students, and the candidates are expected to be self-supporting.
- An Honours Bachelor's degree (or equivalent) with a 75% standing.
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) score (only for those applicants who completed their degree outside of Canada and the United States).
- Supplementary information form
- Number of references: 2
Type of references:
academic or professional
English language proficiency (ELP) (if applicable)
- Graduate Academic Integrity Module (Graduate AIM)
- Students must complete 8 one-term graduate level courses (0.50 unit weight) taken from the 500, 600 and 700 series courses (or courses acceptable for graduate credit).
- At least 4 of the 8 required courses must be taken within the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering.
- An English for Multilingual Speakers (EMLS) technical/professional writing course for Engineers is required for all students who were not English Language Proficiency (ELP) exempt at the time of admission.
- A maximum of 2 500 level courses may be counted for credit.
- The candidate must obtain a pass in all courses credited to their program, with a minimum overall average of 70% (a grade of less than 65% in any course counts as a failure).
- At least half of the courses used for credit must normally be Faculty of Engineering courses.
- Link(s) to courses