Fee schedule and tuition assessment information

Fee schedule

For the latest Graduate Studies tuition fee schedule, please refer to the Finance website.

Tuition assessment information

The Ontario Government has established a policy of higher tuition fees for international students studying in Ontario on Study Permits. The policy came into effect as of January 1, 1977 and was revised in June 1996. Beginning with the 1996/97 academic year, the higher fees apply to all students, except for those who qualify for exemption under one of the following categories:

  1. A citizen of Canada within the meaning of the Citizenship Act, or a person registered as an Indian1 within the meaning of the Indian Act;
    • A person who is the dependent2 of a Canadian citizen.
  2. A Permanent Resident within the meaning of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act:
    • A person who is the dependent2 of a permanent resident of Canada.
    • A person who has been granted "permanent resident" status and has not had that status revoked; or
    • A person who has been approved “in principle” for permanent resident status in Canada. Evidence of this is a letter which confirms that Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada  has determined that they are eligible for immigration to Canada or meets the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent resident status in Canada. Such letters must be dated prior to the enrolment count date and presented prior to the enrolment report due date (Winter - February 1, Spring - June 30, Fall - November 1).
  3. A visitor who has been admitted to and remains in Canada with official accreditation from the Canadian Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade, who has entered Canada, or is in Canada, to carry out their official duties as:
    • A diplomatic or consular officer; or
    • As a Canadian government-accredited representative or official of a country other than Canada, of the United Nations or any of its agencies, of any intergovernmental organizations of which Canada is a member; or
    • As a dependent2 or a member of the staff of any such diplomat, consular officer, representative or official accredited to Canada by the Canadian government; or
    • A member of a foreign military force or of a civilian component thereof admitted to Canada under the Visiting Forces Act, or any dependents2 of such personnel.
  4. Visitors and their dependents2 who are authorized to work in Canada having been issued a work permit. The following are excluded from this category:
    • A visitor who is a graduate teaching or research assistant;
    • An international student holding a work permit to complete their co-op or internship or medical residency employment;
    • An international student holding a work permit for post-graduation work (usually up to three years of work opportunities upon graduation);
    • An international student whose spouse or common-law partner has received a work permit as a result of the international student holding a valid Study Permit;
    • An international student holding an "Off-Campus Work Permit".
  5. A person and their dependents2 admitted to and remaining in Canada who:
    • Has been determined to be a protected person, including a Convention refugee or a person in need of protection, within the meaning of subsection 95(2) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act by the Immigration and Refugee Board (IRB) or the Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada. A protected person document issued under section 31(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act or a "notice of decision" issued by the Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada or by the IRB must be presented;
    • Is a refugee claimant who applied to the federal government for Convention Refugee Status prior to January 1, 1989, and can provide documentation from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada to that effect.

1As defined in the Indian Act (R.S., 1985, c.I-6, s.1.) "Indian" means a person who pursuant to this Act is registered as an Indian or is entitled to be registered as an Indian.

2A "dependent" of a person includes their spouse (the party to whom that person is joined in marriage), common-law partner, unmarried dependent child, or spouse's or common-law partner’s unmarried dependent child. Common-law status can be established if the couple have lived in a conjugal relationship for not less than three years, or they are in a conjugal relationship and raising children of whom both are natural or adoptive parents. Dependent status must be fully documented for the student to be classified as eligible.

The foregoing is a condensed version of sections 1.1.7, 1.1.8, 4.1.1 to 4.1.4 of the 2009-10 Ontario Operating Funds Distribution Manual. For further details, contact Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs (GSPA).