The following definitions are applicable to prospective students and to students currently enrolled in graduate studies at the University of Waterloo.

Non-degree graduate students

Applicants possessing an Honours Bachelor's degree or equivalent who intend to take one or more graduate courses but are not proceeding to a degree or a diploma should apply for non-degree admission. Courses taken by non-degree students may not be used for credit toward a degree in a graduate program. Students in this non-degree category who subsequently decide to proceed to a degree will pay fees according to their category at that time. Non-degree students will not normally be granted full-time status.