To find journal articles on a specific topic, search the library catalogue and relevant journal databases.
Search the library catalogue for articles
To get started quickly, search the catalogue for full-text articles available through many of the Library's electronic subscriptions.
- Click Articles+ tab and search by keywords
- If you only want peer-reviewed articles, click the "Peer-reviewed" link in the left column
Tip: The catalogue search does not include all library databases and does not cover all subject areas equally. For a comprehensive search, visit Research & journal databases page. To identify the top databases recommended by Waterloo librarians, consult Research guides by subject.
Search the library databases for articles
Databases usually provide more advanced and flexible search options than the library catalogue. They allow you to explore the full range of information on a topic.
- To view all subject specific and multidisciplinary databases, visit Research & journal databases page
- To identify the top databases recommended by Waterloo librarians, consult Research guides by subject
Typically, databases allow search limit by date, language, document type, peer-reviewed (also "refereed" or "scholarly") articles, and full-text documents.
Link to full-text journal articles
Some databases provide access to the full-text articles, while others only supply article citations, with or without abstracts.
- To see if a full-text article is available, look for Get it! @ Waterloo button or other links such as HTML, PDF, or full-text
Request journal articles
- If the library catalogue has the online journal but online access is restricted, follow the "Request an article" link in the record on the search results page
- If the library catalogue has the print journal with your article, get it from the shelf OR follow the "Request an article" link in the record on the search results page
- If the library catalogue does not include the journal with your article, request it from other libraries through Interlibrary loans service