Recent peer-reviewed papers are listed below by research theme.
Determinants of movement behaviour
- Armstrong DP*, Fischer SL. (2020). Understanding individual differences in lifting mechanics: Do some people adopt motor control strategies that minimize biomechanical exposure. Human Movement Science, 74, 102689. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.humov.2020.102689.
- Derouin AJ*, Fischer SL. (2019). Validation of a three-dimensional target acquisition system for evaluating the performance effects of head supported mass. Applied Ergonomics, 76, 48-56. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apergo.2018.12.002.
- Makhoul P*, Sinden KE*, MacPhee RS, Fischer SL. (2017). Relative contribution of lower body work as a biomechanical determinant of spine sparing technique during common paramedic lifting tasks. Applied Biomechanics, 33, 137-143. http://dx.doi.org/10.1123/jab.2016-0178.
Advancing functional capacity evaluation
- Remedios SM*, Fischer SL. (Published online September 2021). Towards the Use of 2D Video-Based Markerless Motion Capture to Measure and Parameterize Movement During Functional Capacity Evaluation. Journal of Occupational Rehabilitation. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10926-021-10002-x.
- Armstrong DP* Budarick AR*, Pegg CEE*, Graham RB, Fischer SL. (2021). Feature detection and biomechanical analysis to objectively identify high exposure movement strategies when performing the EPIC Lift Capacity test. Journal of Occupational Rehabilitation, 21, 50-62. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10926-020-09890-2.
- Armstrong DP*, Pegg CEE*, Fischer SL. (2020). Is deep squat movement strategy related to floor-to-waist height lifting strategy: Implications for physical employment testing. Ergonomics, 63(2), 152-156. https://doi.org/10.1080/00140139.2019.1689303.
- Armstrong DP*, Ross GB, Graham RB, Fischer SL. (2019). Considering movement competency within physical employment standards. Work, 63(4), 603-613. http://dx.doi.org/10.3233/WOR-192955.
Advancing digital human modeling
- Moore CAB*, Barret JM, Healey LA*, Callaghan JP, Fischer SL. (2021). Predicting cervical spine compression and shear in helicopter helmeted conditions using artificial neural networks. IISE Transactions on Occupational Ergonomics and Human Factors. https://doi.org/10.1080/24725838.2021.1938760.
- Davidson J*, Graham RB, Beck S, Marler T, Fischer SL. (2021). Improving human-in-the-loop simulation to optimize soldier-systems integration. Applied Ergonomics, 90, 103267. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apergo.2020.103267.
- Fischer SL, Dickerson CR, Wells RP. (2014). Estimating maximum and psychophysically acceptable hand forces using a biomechanical weakest link approach. Computer Methods in Biomechanics and Biomedical Engineering, 17(13), 1418-1431. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10255842.2012.739159.
Inform better, safer products
- Healey LA*, Derouin AJ*, Callaghan JP, Cronin DS, Fischer SL. (2021). Night vision goggle and counterweight use affect neck muscle activity during reciprocal scanning. Aerospace Medicine and Human Performance, 92(3), 172-181. https://doi.org/10.3357/AMHP.5673.2021.
- Moore CAB*, Armstrong DP*, Fischer SL. (2021). Exploring the prospective efficacy of waste bag-body contact allowance to reduce biomechanical exposure in municipal waste collection. Applied Ergonomics, 90, 103182. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apergo.2020.103182.
- McFarland T*, Fischer SL. (2020). Considerations for Industrial Use: A Systematic Review of the Impact of Active and Passive Upper Limb Exoskeletons on Physical Exposures. IISE Transactions on Occupational Ergonomics and Human Factors, 7(3-4), 322-347. https://doi.org/10.1080/24725838.2019.1684399.
- Du B, Boileau M*, Wierts K*, Karch S, Fischer SL, Yazdani A. (2020). Exploring the need for and application of human factors and ergonomics in ambulance design standards: Overcoming the barriers. Applied Ergonomics, 88, 103144. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apergo.2020.103144.
- Budarick AR*, Lad U*, Fischer SL. (2020). Can the use of turn-assist surfaces reduce the physical burden on caregivers when performing patient turning? Human Factors, 62(1), 77-92. https://doi.org/10.1177/0018720819845746.