Total sponsored research awards by source, Faculty and award year
Office of Research database (InfoEd)
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Research awards granted by Federal Tri-Agency, Federal (excluding Tri-Agency), Provincial, Industry, and other (inter-university sub-awards, internal matching of institutional awards, foundations, private agencies, and other governmental bodies)
- Includes awards to the Affiliated and Federated Institutions of Waterloo and/or non-academic units
- For multi-year awards, the budget allocated for the fiscal year is reported (not the entire award)
- Any research awards not administered through the University of Waterloo Office of Research - the Affiliated and Federated Institutions of Waterloo and non-academic units may choose administer their awards directly (but includes research funding that is held in Development)
Research Chairs set up in an operating fund (e.g. Schlegel RIA)
2017/18: University Research Centres and Institutes now report to the Vice-President, Research; accordingly research awards previously attributed to these entities have been moved to the Office of Research (included under “Other”). Previous years have also been revised.
2018/19: Tri-agency has been reclassified into 3 categories, Tri-Agencies (NSERC, SSHRC, CIHR), TIPS (Tri-agency Institutional Programs Secretariat) and Tri-Agency Other. This has been necessary to accommodate the increasing number of Tri-Agency programs that are not funded directly from one of the three original agencies (i.e. NSERC, SSHRC, CIHR). A number of other minor changes have been made as part of this exercise to move sponsors to the correct category.
• UW – SSHRC has been moved from Tri-Agency to Tri-Agencies SSHRC
• CERC, CFREF, CRC and Research Support Fund (RSF) has been moved from Federal (excluding Tri-Agency) to Tri-Agency TIPS.
• NCE has been moved from Federal (excluding Tri-Agency) to Tri-Agency Other.
• Canada 150 Chairs and New Frontiers in Research Fund (NFRF) have been moved from Tri-Agency to Tri-Agency TIPS
• CanmetMATERIALS has been moved from Tri-Agency to Federal (excluding Tri-Agency)
• Thunder Bay Regional Research Institute has been moved from Federal (excluding Tri-Agency) to Provincial
• Canada’s Oil Sands Innovation Alliance has been moved from from Federal (excluding Tri-Agency) to Canadian Private Sector Industry
• Canadian Ornamental Horticultural Alliance has been moved from Federal (excluding Tri-Agency) to Canadian Non-Profit Industry.
• FedDev has been moved from Provincial to Federal (excluding Tri-Agency).
Previous years have also been revised.
2019/20: Sponsor type ‘Private Sector – Other’ has undergone a cleanup exercise. Previous years have also been revised. With this change you may notice shifts in funding from one sponsor type/grouping to another.