2018 GOAL » Increase the worldwide impact and recognition of University of Waterloo research
At Waterloo, curiosity is fuelled by a passion to inform — and transform — the world.
Waterloo has a proud history of addressing challenges, be they new and emerging or long-held and intractable, and finding answers. Beginning at the undergraduate level, Waterloo will build on an exceptional legacy of research strengths to foster and champion a research and learning environment that unleashes the limitless potential of the best and the brightest faculty and students. Pursuing research without borders, unrestricted by discipline – Waterloo will help to change the world.
By 2018, our focus on transformational research will:
- Be recognized internationally for excellence and innovation in research, scholarship and education
- Enable conditions which support excellence and impact
- Increase interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary research globally, nationally and locally
- Strengthen the relationship between research and teaching at the undergraduate level
- Build greater awareness, nationally and globally, of Waterloo’s research productivity and impact
- Identify and seize opportunities to lead in new / emerging areas
Measuring progress and outcomes
A comprehensive and transparent accountability framework for transformational research demonstrates our progress and identifies where more work is needed on this important theme. Over the five-year term of the Strategic Plan, these indicators will show our impact and contributions to the overall Strategic Plan.
Input from a broad range of stakeholders is critical to advance the transformational research theme. A broad perspective for action on research will enrich our efforts in this vital theme area.
Transformational research theme leadership
Together with a selected team of key stakeholders from across the University, theme leads Associate Vice-President University Research, John Thompson and Associate Vice-President External Research, Bruce Muirhead, have developed a comprehensive action plan to maximize the impact and recognition of Waterloo’s research.