Bar Services Guidelines

The Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario Liquor License Act (AGCO) prohibits guests, employees and students from providing their own alcoholic beverages at the University of Waterloo. All alcoholic beverages on campus must be provided by Catering & Event Services. All our bartenders have their Smart Serve certification.

All our bars are stocked with a variety of local and premium beer, local wine, scotch, vodka, gin, rum, rye, assorted pop, bottled water and juice.  We can recommend wine selections to accompany your menu. If you require alcoholic products we do not offer, you will be charged the full purchase price with no refund available.

All drinks except wine are served in recyclable plastic ware.  Full glassware is available at an additional charge. All bars are invoiced based on minimum net bar sales.  Minimum net bar sales include the service of bartenders and setup fees

Bar services is available at all locations at the University of Waterloo, as long as we have liquor license capacity for the room.  We require a minimum of 15 working days notice in advance of the event for rooms that do not have licenced capacities.  

Bar services must be booked a minimum of 10 working days prior to the event. Bar services booked less than 10 working days in advance will be subject to a late booking fee.  A cancellation fee will apply if the event is cancelled within 5 working days or less prior to the event. 

During a licenced event, any violation of the AGCO or University of Waterloo Bar Policies #21, will result in an immediate cancellation of the event. 

The AGCO regulates that food must be offered when alcohol is served.  Catering & Event Services would be please to provide this service for your event.

Types of Bars

Host bar – all sales are charged to the client/department

Cash bar - guests pay for their own drinks using debit or credit only.  No cash is currently accepted.

Cash/host bar – ticket(s) are provide to each guest and the client is charged based upon consumption. If guests would like additional drinks, they pay for the additional drinks using debit or credit only.