Office 365 for undergraduate students
Incoming first year undergraduate students (September 2016) have been provided with Office 365 email accounts.
Office 365 for current (ie. non-first year) undergraduate students
All current undergraduate students should now activate their Microsoft Office 365 account.
At the end of Winter 2017 term all undergraduate students who have not yet activated their Office 365 accounts will be migrated to Office 365 automatically.
NOTE: Once you have activated your Office 365 account you will have 30 days to migrate your mailservices email to your Office 365 account before your mailservices account is removed. (This will NOT remove your email@example.com address, only your firstname.lastname@example.org.)
Why Office 365?
Office 365 provides students with a cloud-based Outlook email account with a greater feature set and increased storage.
- Email, calendar, and contacts with a 50 GB inbox
- Collaboration and productivity tools
- Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Publisher, and OneNote)
- 5TB OneDrive storage
Accessing your Office 365 account
Follow the below steps to sign in to your Office 365 account after the account activation process:
- Go to https://portal.office.com
- Enter email address as email@example.com
- Tab or click out of that field
You will then be redirected to the University of Waterloo organizational sign in page (or portal):
- Ensure your email address is entered as firstname.lastname@example.org
- Enter your WatIAM password
- Click Sign in
Using Office 365 – Email and apps
- Download Office to your computer/laptop
- This option allows you to access your email and use the Office suite of apps locally, on your machine. Continue reading to learn how you can add a copy of Microsoft Office on up to 5 personally owned computers/devices.
- Access your email and Office suite of apps via the online portal
- Once signed in to the online portal you will have full access to these features – no download required.
Office 365 mail configuration guides
Office 365 ProPlus is a subscription to the latest version of the Microsoft Office suite of programs including:
- OneDrive (includes 5 TB of storage)
- Skype for Business
Office 365 ProPlus provides a copy of Microsoft Office applications for up to 5 personally owned computers/devices. Students with an Office 365 account can log in to Office 365 to obtain and manage their copies.
Information on Office 365 ProPlus for staff and faculty will be available winter 2017.
Frequently asked questions about using Office 365
What happens to my account after I graduate?
Email: You will keep your Office 365 email account after you graduate. However, 16 months after your last registered term you will no longer be able to use @uwaterloo.ca, but @edu.uwaterloo.ca will continue.
Office 365 ProPlus account
You will keep your account for approximately 16 months after your last registered term. In order to keep any files, you will need to create a new account with Microsoft and copy your files over.
How do I move the files and Office applications (Word, Excel, etc.) from my previous Office 365 @uwaterloo.ca account to my new Office 365 @edu.uwaterloo.ca account
You will need to download each file you want to keep and move them to your new OneDrive storage. Note: after graduation you will need to create a new account with Microsoft and move your files over.
You will need to reactivate your Office 365 subscription to continue using any downloaded Office applications (Word, Excel, etc.). Note: after graduation you will need to create a new account with Microsoft and move your files over.
(The information about file migration on the Microsoft page includes instructions about email that you can disregard.)
I have forgotten my password to my Office 365 @uwaterloo.ca account.
You can request a password reset by sending an email to request @uwaterloo.ca.
Where do I set my mail forwarding preferences?
You can create an inbox rule within Office 365 to forward your email to your preferred email address.
How can I transfer my Mailservices email to Office 365?
You can connect your Mailservices account in Office 365.
- Go to your mail folder in Office 365.
- Click the settings (gear button), select Mail under 'My app settings'.
- Select 'Connected accounts' from Mail > Accounts.
- Click on the + (plus icon) and add your mailservices account
- Email address = email@example.com
- Password = your WatIAM password
- Click OK.
- You will see a popup informing you that your email is being imported, click OK.
- Login to your mailservices account.
- There will be a verification email from "The Microsoft Team". Follow the instructions to verify that you own the account.
- The import of your mailservices email to your Office 365 mailbox should begin.
How do I reset my password?
Your password can be changed or reset through WatIAM.
Can I edit my Office 365 profile name?
Yes. Your profile information can be changed through your 365 account.
- Log in to your Office 365 account
- Click Settings (gear icon) in top right corner
- Your app settings > Mail
- Click General > My account under left hand menu
- Update Display name
- Click Save at top of screen
What is the mail message size limit?
Mail messages, including attachments, are limited to 50MB in size, unless the attachment is linked from your OneDrive.
How do I set my mail attachment preferences?
You can change this setting in your Options under Attachment Preferences.
Can I create a distribution group?
No, distribution groups are disabled.
If I delete an email, can I get it back?
Information on recovering deleted items or email in Outlook Web App.
What is Clutter?
Clutter moves your low priority messages out of your Inbox so you can easily scan for important messages. Clutter analyzes your email habits, and based on your past behavior, it determines the messages that you’re most likely to ignore. It then moves those messages to a folder called Clutter, where you can review them later.
Clutter is enabled by default. To turn Clutter off, see Turn off Clutter in Outlook.