Who to contact in an emergency

In the Event of an Emergency 

Contact Local Police

Be familiar with the local emergency contact number(s).

Contact the University of Waterloo Police Services: 1-519-888-4911

Access is available 24 hours/day, 365 days/year. You can ALWAYS call Police Services if you aren’t sure who to contact. Your health and safety are our priority and your communication with our dedicated staff is critical to ensuring appropriate and timely support for you.

  • Provide your name, UWID#, and contact information. Inform the University of Waterloo Police of the specific details of your situation.
  • Police Services will provide you with the assistance you require.
  • Police Services will initiate the appropriate emergency response protocol on your behalf, by communicating with your Emergency Contact, Faculty Advisor, and/or the Safety Abroad Team.

If you require medical assistance:

Contact your Medical Insurance Provider

  • It is your responsibility to carry with you your insurance provider’s contact information.
  • You will need to have your policy number and/or membership number with you when you contact them.

As Needed, Local Emergency Services

Be familiar with local emergency service number(s). 

Other Emergency Resources

Government of Canada

For urgent assistance abroad call collect 1-613-996-8885 to reach the Emergency Watch and Response Centre, or email sos@international.gc.ca, or access online.

Anvil Group (University of Waterloo's International Travel Safety and Security Provider)

  • Access to 24/7 dedicated travel safety assistance phone line or email for help in any emergency medical, security and travel situations.
  • This service is available to all full-time students, faculty, and staff.
  • To obtain assistance, please contact phone number: country code (44) 2038594459 or email: uwaterloosupport@anvilgroup.com