Black and white and colour printing are available from all library computers. Students can use their WatCard to print. You will need to have funds available on your card. You can add money to your WatCard account online or at the Circulation desk.
Faculty, staff and external borrowers (this includes research and visiting scholars) can print using uPrint guest card. You will need to create an account in uPrint and purchase a uPrint guest card. The uPrint guest cards are sold at the Circulation desk in denominations of $2, $5, and $10.
How to print
You can use uPrint to print from your laptop or from a library computer. Library computers have a default black and white printer. If you want to print in colour or single-sided, adjust the printing options before sending your document to the printer. To print from a library computer:
- Send your document to the printer: choose "Print" from the "File" menu, or click on the "Print" icon in the "Print" dialogue box.
- In the "Login" dialogue box, enter your WatIAM credentials and click “OK”.
- Please wait until you see the following dialogue box before going to the Release Stations to print your job.
- Release your print job: at the print station, swipe your WatCard or type in your WatIAM credentials.
- Highlight the job(s) from the list and select print. If you have enough money on your card to pay for the printout, it is printed and the price is deducted from your card. If you don't have enough money on your card, the printout remains in the queue for two hours, so you can add funds to your card.
Create an account:
- Go to uwaterloo.ca/uprint, then click on “Register as guest card user”
After filling in your full name, email address (UWaterloo, Gmail, Yahoo …etc), user name, and password), click on “Register”
You will get a message that confirms your registration and includes your registration details. Now you can click on the “login” link at the bottom of this message.
- To login, enter “guest-your user name” in the username field and the password that you create in the registration in the password field, then click on “Log in”
Add funds to your account:
- Purchase a uPrint card from the Circulation desk. They are sold in amounts of $2, $5, $10.
- Login to your account. You’ll see the summary page that shows your username, balance, total print jobs, and total pages.
- From the left menu of the page click on “Redeem card”; enter the access number printed on the uPrint card; then click on “Redeem card”.
- You should see a message saying “The value associated with this card has been successfully applied to your account”
- To make sure that the fund has been successfully added to your account, click on “Summary” in the left menu. Now you can see the amount added beside the “Balance”.
Print your job:
- Once the account is created, you can print from the library public computers. To release your job using the library’s release stations, you will need to type in your uPrint account username and password.
- To print from your laptop, you will need to login into uPrint using your uPrint account username and password.
Cost and refunds
All costs below are tax included
- Black & White printing:
- 8.5 x 11 Single (one sided): $0.10
- 8.5 x 11 Duplex (double sided): $0.14
- Colour printing:
- 8.5 x 11 Single (one sided): $0.50
- 8.5 x 11 Duplex (double sided): $0.80
Refund requests should be submitted through uPrint. Approved refund amounts will be made available for future print jobs (refunds will not be added back to your WatCard or uPrint guest card). There is no service fee for refunds. For more details, please visit the uPrint frequently asked questions page.
- Before you re-boot the library computer, save your work to a USB (memory key) or email your work.
- If you are printing an Excel document in colour you must first save it as a PDF.
- If you have trouble printing a huge file try printing a few pages at a time, or save the document as an .xps file and print using that format.
- Review the printing frequently asked questions.