Title: Hawkesville Mennonite Church fonds
Dates of creation: 1949-2020
Note: Further accruals are expected.
Physical description: 1.02 m of textual records
Administrative history: Hawkesville is located along the Conestogo River west of St. Jacobs. It was first settled in 1839; a plan for a town was designed in 1856. In 1868 the Presbyterians built a church in the town. In 1925, after the merger of the Presbyterian and Methodist denominations, the church became part of the United Church of Canada. The building, at 15 Martha Street, was occupied by this denomination until 1946.
The St. Jacobs Mennonite Church was considering expansion of its building in 1948, but also considered the alternative of planting a new congregation in the Hawkesville if support was available. The building was purchased for $100 from the United Church, and renovations were undertaken. Dedication services for the renovated facility and new congregation were held on January 1, 1950.
The congregation affiliated with the Mennonite Conference of Ontario in 1950, the Mennonite Conference of Eastern Canada in 1988 and the Conference of Mennonites in Canada in 1995.
Pastoral leaders since 1950 have included Paul Martin (1950-1962); Clifford Snider (1962-1965); Simeon Hurst (1965-1971); S. David Garber (1971-1982); Gordon Martin (Interim, 1982-1983); Gary Knarr (1983-1990); Don Penner (1990-2001), Herb & Shirley Schultz (Interim, 2001/2003), Maurice Martin (Interim, 2003), Perry Bartel (2003-2013), Erv Wiens (Interim, 2013-2015), Paul Dyck (2015- )
In 1950 there were 86 members; in 1965, 132; in 1975, 179; in 1985, 169; in 1995, 157; in 2000, 138.
Custodial history: The congregation has made periodic donations to the Mennonite Archives of Ontario
Scope and content: The fonds ins arranged in four series: Formal records, Informal records, Church bulletins and Newsletters
Notes: Description originally created December 1999 by Sam Steiner.
For further information see: Mabel Snyder, 25th anniversary: Hawkesville Mennonite Church (Hawkesville : The Church, 1974).
See also: Worship service tapes in Sound Recordings -- Worship Services
Related photographs are located in Hist.Mss. 10: Photographs and Slides.
Series 1: Formal records
- Members meeting minutes, 1949-1971, 2010-2012 (including church retreat minutes, 17 Apr 2010), 2014
- Church Council/Administrative Committee minutes
1985-1997, 2003 (includes annual reports and minutes)
2009-Apr 2012, 2013 (annual meeting minutes only)
- Indenture, August 22, 1949 (sale of building to Hawkesville Mennonite Church (Copy))
- List of charter members, 1950 (Copy)
- Pastoral review materials, 1970s
- Stewardship Committee minutes, 1965-1974
- Sunday school reorganization, 1950-1970
- Sunday school Executive minutes,
- Congregational directory,
1982, 1983, 1986, 1988,
- Goals and guidelines of the Hawkesville Mennonite Church, 1982; Action planning worksheet, fall 2003
- Layout of underground piping around church (1981); community cemetery addition
- WMSC, 1951-1984, 2008-2011
- WMSC report forms to conference, 1963-1976
- Cash book - receipts and disbursements, 1949-1960
- Cash book - offerings and disbursements, 1950-1960
- Cash book - receipts and disbursements, 1960-1970
- Senior Sewing Circle records
Cash books, 1950-1981
- Evening Star Sewing Circle secretary's book, 1956-1967
- Evening Star Sewing Circle financial records, 1956-1971
- Flowers of Faith Sewing Circle records, 1959-1974 (6 books)
- Junior Sewing Circle, 1950-1955
- Junior Girls Sewing Circle records, 1952-1956, 1964-1968
- Busy Beaver Sewing Circle records, (financial), 1956-1966
- Mennonite Youth Fellowship, financial records, 1951-1959
- Sunday evening service offering records, 1951-1960
- Slate committee, 2005-2010
Series 2: Informal records
- Misc. programmes, offering schedules, wedding/funeral bulletins, 1950ff
- Church historian's notes, 1950-1962 (includes programme from 1950 dedication service)
- Receipts related to building program, 1951-1958
- News clippings related to congregation, 1950-
- Misc. correspondence, 1973ff (includes David Garber ordination)
- Mabel Snyder, 25th anniversary, Hawkesville Mennonite Church (2 copies)
- Fifthieth anniversary materials, 2000
- Congregational profile, 2000
Series 3: Church bulletins
1956 (one issue), 1960 (one issue), 1962 (one issue), 1963-2008 (not complete), 2009, Apr 2010 - 2020
Series 4: Newsletter
Hawkesville connection, 1973-1992