University of Waterloo students can access free legal support. Waterloo Undergraduate Student Association (WUSA) and Waterloo’s Graduate Student Association have partnered with Studentcare to provide legal advice on any subject and representation on issues relating to academic rights, co-op and employment, or housing and tenancy and other matters including fraud.
Waterloo Region Community Legal Services (WRCLS) is a non-profit organization dedicated to providing legal services to those who meet our criteria for financial eligibility in the Kitchener, Waterloo and Cambridge area.
Community Legal Education Ontario provides resources on issues such as eviction, rent increases, harassment & discrimination, maintenance & repairs, moving out etc.
- Previously the Ontario Rental Housing Tribunal, the LTB provides legal information to help settle disputes between residential landlords and tenants. Details can also be viewed in this video.
- Legal Aid Clinic Program
- Legal Aid Ontario
- Steps to Justice: Housing Law
- Government of Ontario Rental Housing Offences
Maintenance and safety
It is possible for anyone, anywhere to experience a bed bug infestation. Regular inspection and cleaning can help prevent or discover an infestation in its early stages.
If you're buying used items, make sure to inspect item, and feel free to ask if the items were checked for bed bugs. Never bring discarded bed frames, mattresses, box springs, upholstered furniture or electronics into your home. These items may be infested with bed bugs.
A great site with fire prevention and safety tips.
A useful site with information on building permits, noise, etc.
- Make sure you have tenant insurance while renting. The cost of additional coverage is low, but the cost of replacing all your stuff is high.
- Lock all windows and doors and do not prop open main entry doors to lobbies or stairwells.
- Keep money and jewellery to a minimum in the house – use a safety deposit box
- For more advice, check out the UWaterloo Safety Office.